• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send wrong amount in invoices for a few months.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm not surprised. I would leave on very good terms with anyone that under charged me for 7 months as well
    lol, me too.

But honestly, looking the way they work, they probably only have checked the charged hours, they would never think about someone being THAT stupid to forget a raise T_T

Comment

To the OP - I had a similar issue, but the other way around (I overcharged the agency, who overpaid - see here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...oney-back.html). I an idiot who didn't appear to run a proper businesses commenting on my thread too, who couldn't accept that anyone could possibly make a mistake with their contract. As has already been stated, people make mistakes all the time, and it can happen.

I suppose it's pretty easy to get invoices right all the time when you're a BOAS contractor and you don't really have many other demands apart from your one client. In my case, I was dealing with multiple clients, and invoiced several months after the work had begun (invoicing based on milestones rather than time elapsed). The agency had put how much they were invoicing the client in the contract, highly unusual and it was what caused me to make the error.

Anyway, I had to issue them a credit note for the amount I had overcharged, + the VAT. I created the credit note, then sorted out the payment. Best part of £5,000, but the money was theirs, so I had no problem with it really. It ensured that the amount they had contractually agreed to pay was what they ended up payment. They did agree with my suggestion that we had both dropped the ball, since they equally shouldn't have authorised payment on invoices that didn't match their agreement with MyCo Ltd.

But the advice I received on that thread was generally pretty good: the money is theirs, pay it to them. So the same will be true the other way around. You cocked up, the agency cocked up, but the end result is that they owe you the money, so take the advice already given and give them a call before following up with an email. It'll get sorted I'm sure.
      Last edited by GillsMan; 10 April 2014, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
        To the OP - I had a similar issue, but the other way around (I overcharged the agency, who overpaid - see here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...oney-back.html). I an idiot who didn't appear to run a proper businesses commenting on my thread too, who couldn't accept that anyone could possibly make a mistake with their contract. As has already been stated, people make mistakes all the time, and it can happen.

I suppose it's pretty easy to get invoices right all the time when you're a BOAS contractor and you don't really have many other demands apart from your one client. In my case, I was dealing with multiple clients, and invoiced several months after the work had begun (invoicing based on milestones rather than time elapsed). The agency had put how much they were invoicing the client in the contract, highly unusual and it was what caused me to make the error.

Anyway, I had to issue them a credit note for the amount I had overcharged, + the VAT. I created the credit note, then sorted out the payment. Best part of £5,000, but the money was theirs, so I had no problem with it really. It ensured that the amount they had contractually agreed to pay was what they ended up payment. They did agree with my suggestion that we had both dropped the ball, since they equally shouldn't have authorised payment on invoices that didn't match their agreement with MyCo Ltd.

But the advice I received on that thread was generally pretty good: the money is theirs, pay it to them. So the same will be true the other way around. You cocked up, the agency cocked up, but the end result is that they owe you the money, so take the advice already given and give them a call before following up with an email. It'll get sorted I'm sure.
        Hi GillsMan,

I totally share the feeling with you, for me it´s not a funny situation, but I can understand that this is a forum (even for professionals) and may be people wishing to have some fun, but glad to hear so good advice and tips for other ones.

I just called them and it went really well, I only need to send them the amount that they owe me, and a confirmation of my day rate raise (I have a signed letter from them) so hopefully everything will get sorted out soon.

I understand that for you could be a big trouble, for me it looks like I was using them as a savings account :P

Anyway is a situation that won´t be happening again in the future (at least I will try not to). I hope this post helps others in a similar situation to not freak out as I did this morning when I discover the problem.

Thanks for your comment!

Comment

Wow. I'm on my first contract too and I relish the task of manually calculating, checking, and and updating each invoice. That's the fun bit!

Comment

Originally posted by rvarela View Post
            Hi GillsMan,

I totally share the feeling with you, for me it´s not a funny situation, but I can understand that this is a forum (even for professionals) and may be people wishing to have some fun, but glad to hear so good advice and tips for other ones.

I just called them and it went really well, I only need to send them the amount that they owe me, and a confirmation of my day rate raise (I have a signed letter from them) so hopefully everything will get sorted out soon.

I understand that for you could be a big trouble, for me it looks like I was using them as a savings account :P

Anyway is a situation that won´t be happening again in the future (at least I will try not to). I hope this post helps others in a similar situation to not freak out as I did this morning when I discover the problem.

Thanks for your comment!
            Has any of this occurred across company year end? You should talk to your accountant to make sure you sort out CT and VAT properly. (Or can someone advise that this is a red herring?)
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Is your accountant a software package?
              "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Potter View Post
                Is your accountant a software package?
                Paint?
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  Wow. I'm on my first contract too and I relish the task of manually calculating, checking, and and updating each invoice. That's the fun bit!
                  2 years/3 contracts in and I still start prepping next month's invoice days before month end, excited at the prospect of all that lovely dough soon to be invoiced!

Comment

I don't see a problem here, if you've undercharged you just sent them a corrected invoice with the difference.

Happens all the time.

The client has actually profited from the undercharging as they've had extra money in the bank so alleviating any potential cash flow problems, bank charges, extra interest etc etc.

They might even send you a thankyou letter

It will just be handled by a couple of "automatons" in the accounts department who will simply check against the previous invoices and the contract, no-one else will be involved.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                      2 years/3 contracts in and I still start prepping next month's invoice days before month end, excited at the prospect of all that lovely dough soon to be invoiced!
                      Same 'ere too!! Even though I know the amount going into the bank I still check...check again, and then have another look...LOL

I don't think I could ever go back to monthly payslips. I think I'm addicted to invoices etc.

Last edited by Brian Potter; 11 April 2014, 16:56. Reason: tulip
                      "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Working...
                      X