• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Bank Account - Registering without a UK address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan@OrangeGenie
    replied
    Originally posted by Confounded View Post
    Hi to all!

I know this is a somewhat dated thread, but we are in a similar situation (so thought better to add here rather than starting a new one). I am due to start working on a contract in the UK; we have had to set up a UK limited for that purpose as the client refused to sign a contract with our non-UK based company. However, we cannot open a UK bank account as we are not based in the UK and I am only going to be in the UK few days per week so will be staying in hotels/private rooms which means that we will not have a UK address which banks as for.

Since there is nothing explicitly stated in the contract itself about the method of payment, can we invoice the client to pay us in some other way (not to a UK bank account), for example via Skrill? And what happens if the client refuses? Will that constitute a breach of contract (work performed but not paid for)? Who dictates the method of payment once a contract is signed?

Thanks a lot
    Honestly, walk away.....

You need to have a business bank account. The money invoiced belongs to your company and only becomes yours when paid in the correct way and tax deducted at source where necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Confounded
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    It sounds like you are not working through an agency. I can't see why the client would not deal with a foreign company unless it is from dodgy jurisdiction. However the big mystery is: how did you get into this situation? Why are you dealing with a client who is not prepared to deal with you, in effect?
    Hi Cirrus. Thank you for replying to my post.

Technically, the contract is with an agency, but I don't see what the difference is. I think we are drifting off topic here; I will restate my question here again:

If there is nothing explicitly stated in the contract about the method of payment, the contract is signed, the work is completed and accepted by the client, can the contractor specify the method of payment and what happens if the client/agency refuses to pay for work in the specified way?

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Confounded View Post
    Yes, the client knows that we are not based in the UK, but I have not yet discussed with them payments as I first wanted to check what the legal status of this issue is: the contract is signed, the work is performed and accepted, who specified the method of payment? Thanks
    It sounds like you are not working through an agency. I can't see why the client would not deal with a foreign company unless it is from dodgy jurisdiction. However the big mystery is: how did you get into this situation? Why are you dealing with a client who is not prepared to deal with you, in effect?

Leave a comment:

• Confounded
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Have you tried speaking to the Agent? I am assuming they know you are not based in the UK
    Hi SimonMac. Thank you for replying to my post. Yes, the client knows that we are not based in the UK, but I have not yet discussed with them payments as I first wanted to check what the legal status of this issue is: the contract is signed, the work is performed and accepted, who specified the method of payment? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Have you tried speaking to the Agent? I am assuming they know you are not based in the UK

Leave a comment:

• Confounded
    replied
    Getting paid without a UK bank account

Hi to all!

I know this is a somewhat dated thread, but we are in a similar situation (so thought better to add here rather than starting a new one). I am due to start working on a contract in the UK; we have had to set up a UK limited for that purpose as the client refused to sign a contract with our non-UK based company. However, we cannot open a UK bank account as we are not based in the UK and I am only going to be in the UK few days per week so will be staying in hotels/private rooms which means that we will not have a UK address which banks as for.

Since there is nothing explicitly stated in the contract itself about the method of payment, can we invoice the client to pay us in some other way (not to a UK bank account), for example via Skrill? And what happens if the client refuses? Will that constitute a breach of contract (work performed but not paid for)? Who dictates the method of payment once a contract is signed?

Thanks a lot

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Do you have a personal UK bank account? Because going to the same bank is probably the easiest way if you did. I presume not.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Silly question maybe, but where is your new company's registered address?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    "Poor" credit history isn't necessarily a problem, providing it's just a lack of history. In that case, using the leverage of an accountant (as suggested above) may help. I had no problems opening a UK business bank account through my accountant (post credit crunch) after 10+ years overseas, but I did, of course, have a UK address.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Googling for my own curiosity (I could see myself being in the same situation), I found this:

This is Money

If you have a poor credit record, you may find it hard to open a business account in the current financial climate.

So, if you have been turned away by high street banks, an alternative option could be the Cashplus Business Account.

There are no branches, no cheque clearing facility and no overdraft, but you can apply online for this account without the need for a credit check or interview.

You pay an annual fee of £29.99 and £2 per ATM withdrawal. There are no fees for sending and receiving bank transfers, for using the account’s card or for paying cash into the account.
    Caution: I know NOTHING about this. But it might be worth a look?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X