• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving SJD Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    What's their accounting software like?

I've always been a fan of SJD's simple spreadsheet which is one reason I'm reluctant to leave. Dynamo for example don't give you any examples of what their software is like
    It was indeed a beautiful spreadsheet.....
    P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
      What's their accounting software like?

I've always been a fan of SJD's simple spreadsheet which is one reason I'm reluctant to leave. Dynamo for example don't give you any examples of what their software is like
      Technically it's not their software. You are getting a subscription to FA which appears to be the go to solution at the moment.

As has been said you can sign up for a free trial but IMO that's overkill. FA is the way to go which has been said many times on here and particularly in threads like this one.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...freeagent.html

If the above link and other feedback still isn't enough for you to make a decision I don't know what is.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        As has been said you can sign up for a free trial but IMO that's overkill.
        I'm not sure it's overkill - some people don't like FA and would prefer something else instead, whether that's Sage, Xero, third party portal, or a spreadsheet.

I work with someone who raves about how good Crunch is, for example, and how it works perfectly for what he needs, but when I did the free trial I couldn't get it to work. I was perfectly happy with the InTouch portal for a long long time because it worked for me - my reasons for moving to a FreeAgent accountant weren't connected to the software that they used.

I did the FA free trial long before I moved accountant, so that if / when I wanted to move I knew what the software was like. Another advantage of doing the free trial is that you can have all your accounts properly set up in there in advance of moving to a different accountant - play around in your own space to get a feel for what it can do before making too many mistakes in the live environment (somehow I have an estimate that I can't delete in FA now because I hit the wrong button and accidentally did something daft).

It's nice to have a sandbox environment to test these things in
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Each to their own but if the OP is coming from the spreadsheet it's a no brainer.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My linked in feed seems to be full of former SJD people not heading towards SJD any more...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              My linked in feed seems to be full of former SJD people not heading towards SJD any more...
              We are certainly seeing a few coming our way.....

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                We are certainly seeing a few coming our way.....
                You share the same address (not the Monaco one of course), so it's an obvious first stop.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  You share the same address (not the Monaco one of course), so it's an obvious first stop.
                  :-) I think you'd find that we wouldn't be very welcome there....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Ah yes, I noticed this today too...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Right, being able to ring owners up of firms the size of SJD particularly when Simon has so many other things on the go such as his motor racing? Rubbish. The fact Simon comes on here and gets down and dirty with his customers I think is pretty unique nowadays. Regular guys here will know this isn't the first instance Simon has responded personally. Oddly enough both InTouch and Nixon Williams have done exactly the same. I just wish there were more small to medium sized companies with the same approach.
                      And now I have the new firm and aren't racing anymore, just imagine how good we are.... :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X