• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    It was on the PCG forum. Can't reproduce the summary and subsequent comment obviously, but the judgement is here
    You sure this is the right one Mal? There doesn't seem to be a reference to 24 month rule specifically
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      You sure this is the right one Mal? There doesn't seem to be a reference to 24 month rule specifically
      Looking at it again, you're right. However it is debarring the site visit in those circumstances from allowing any expenses, so the 24 month rule wouldn't apply in the first place.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Looking at it again, you're right. However it is debarring the site visit in those circumstances from allowing any expenses, so the 24 month rule wouldn't apply in the first place.
        It was allowing the ones claimed under the retained contract but not the ones under the short terms contracts as they were considered to be permanent workplaces for the purposes of determining whether tax relief was allowable. But yes, you're right, the 24 month rule doesn't apply here

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by lisacontractorumbrella View Post
          it was allowing the ones claimed under the retained contract but not the ones under the short terms contracts as they were considered to be permanent workplaces for the purposes of determining whether tax relief was allowable. But yes, you're right, the 24 month rule doesn't apply here
          Liiiiiiiiiissaa!!!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Liiiiiiiiiissaa!!!!
            Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssss NLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK K?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

So in Ratcliffe v HMRC, he came unstuck because his contract specified the site where he was required, hence it could not be classed as a "temporary workplace". He was commuting to a power station.

Just checked my contract, and for location it just says a region e.g. "Midlands". So if I have to work out of different sites within this region, these are temporary workplaces by definition no? I.e. could HMRC say "the site is irrelevant, you travel within "The Midlands" ?
              Last edited by rl4engc; 21 March 2014, 15:44.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                So in Ratcliffe v HMRC, he came unstuck because his contract specified the site where he was required, hence it could not be classed as a "temporary workplace". He was commuting to a power station.

Just checked my contract, and for location it just says a region e.g. "Midlands". So if I have to work out of different sites within this region, these are temporary workplaces by definition no? I.e. could HMRC say "the site is irrelevant, you travel within "The Midlands" ?
                Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. Your contract can say 'England' but if, in reality, you are going back to London or Birmingham everyday then that will be considered your workplace (temporary or otherwise) for these purposes. Also, the case you quoted has nothing to do with the 24 month rule and so is not relevant for your purposes

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Liiiiiiiiiissaa!!!!
                  What

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssss NLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK K?
                    What

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X