• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11d and Self assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    The standard line is that it's not deductible against CT but does not incur BiK charge either. The guidance and background rationale is on the PCG site if you can be rsd to look for it. Opinions vary however. My accountant didn't treat it differently from any other company expense and I didn't see fit to query him on that.
    I'm aware that it's not allowable for CT if in the company name but if it's being provided as an employee benefit because it's I'm the employees name (and attracts a BIK charge as a result) then I would have thought it would be allowable for CT (I asked a similar question recently about company vans which have no real business justification other than to provide to an employee as a benefit! which was enough to satisfy the "wholly and exclusively" test for business expenses).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      I'm aware that it's not allowable for CT if in the company name but if it's being provided as an employee benefit because it's I'm the employees name (and attracts a BIK charge as a result) then I would have thought it would be allowable for CT (I asked a similar question recently about company vans which have no real business justification other than to provide to an employee as a benefit! which was enough to satisfy the "wholly and exclusively" test for business expenses).
      As I said, the rationale for the position on CT/BiK is on the PCG site somewhere. It's to do with PCG not wanting to release a membership list to HMRC. Also, it's only an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        It's wholly and exclusively for the business - you wouldn't need it if you weren't in business. Therefore no BIK.

To be allowable for CT, there is an approved list from HMRC of professional bodies. PCG is not on the approved list, because to get on the list they would need to disclose a list of members, which they (quite rightly) did not want to do.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by imi138 View Post
          I have 3 expenses on my P11d: travel, entertainment, and professional fees

Travel and entertainment were classed as "Taxable payments"; and
          Professional fees were classed as "Non-class 1A items"

Which items do I need to include in my self assessment?
          Only the "Taxable payments", or all 3 expenses?

Thanks for your help!
          1. Why are you worrying about this crap?
          2. Why are you asking ppl on a forum for advice on this?
          3. Why aren't you asking your accountant?
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            It's wholly and exclusively for the business - you wouldn't need it if you weren't in business. Therefore no BIK.
            I know this.

I'm talking about when the membership is in your name but paid for by YourCo. In this case, HMRC clearly say that if the organisation isn't on their list, then it should be treated as a BIK with Class 1 NI. It's there in black and white.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/exb/a...scriptions.htm

My argument is that in this case it would be eligible for a CT reduction like any other salary or benefit payment.

Comment

Working...
            X