• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax liability of working in the UK for an NYC company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax liability of working in the UK for an NYC company

I'll be working as a contractor based in the UK for a New York City company. From the HMRC website I have discovered that this work is exempt from VAT. However I can't find out whether I will have to pay or charge any taxes on the US side. Does anyone know where I can find relevant information?

If this is a B2B relationship via your UK company, it's the same as any other B2B relationship. Your UK company will be taxed in the UK and you, as an individual, will be taxed on residency, presumably in the UK (i.e. you will be living and working here?) BTW, you probably mean that the work is "outside of the scope of VAT" based on the place of supply rules, which is different from being "exempt." You simply note on your invoices that the goods and services are outside of the scope of VAT and do not, therefore, charge it. Your business can still register for VAT, including for the Flat Rate Scheme if it makes sense to do so.

Comment

Hi James, thanks for your reply.

I know that my income will be taxed according to UK legislation, but I'm wondering about the US/New York equivalent of VAT liabilities (if there are any). I haven't been able to find out about any but I may have missed some.

You're right, I meant "outside the scope of VAT". Your suggestion about Flat Rate VAT is interesting. Under what circumstances is it a good idea to sign up for that if I what I sell is outside the scope of VAT?

Comment

Why is it recently we get one question on a topic and then a raft of others that are almost the same? The sockies getting tired of coming up with unique material?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Why is it recently we get one question on a topic and then a raft of others that are almost the same? The sockies getting tired of coming up with unique material?
          Hi northernladuk,

I had a good look through the archives before posting this question (and noticed a number of helpful responses on many matters from your good self) but I didn't see anything addressing this particular issue. If there are some posts specifically addressing New York City sales tax or other relevant liabilties I'd be grateful if you could point me to them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Barracuda View Post
            Hi James, thanks for your reply.

I know that my income will be taxed according to UK legislation, but I'm wondering about the US/New York equivalent of VAT liabilities (if there are any). I haven't been able to find out about any but I may have missed some.

You're right, I meant "outside the scope of VAT". Your suggestion about Flat Rate VAT is interesting. Under what circumstances is it a good idea to sign up for that if I what I sell is outside the scope of VAT?
            The sales tax levied by US states applies to the purchase of goods in the US. You are supplying services to a company in the US, not purchasing goods from the US.

If you are raising invoices that are subject to UK VAT, it's worth doing the calculation to see if you benefit from the FRS, and you probably will benefit in that case. Under the FRS, you essentially save the difference between the normal rate of VAT @ 20% and the lower rate imposed by the FRS depending on your industry category (but you cannot reclaim VAT on purchases).

Comment

If you are providing electronically delivered services to the client, and they have a presence in the UK as well, then the whole contract may not be outside the scope of VAT.

Section 17.8 of the HMRC guidelines says that if your "B2B supply is to a customer belonging outside the EC," you are "required to account for UK VAT to the extent that your customer uses and enjoys your services in the UK."

Of course, how you put a price on the extent that the customer uses and enjoys the services in the UK is a difficult one to determine.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                The sales tax levied by US states applies to the purchase of goods in the US. You are supplying services to a company in the US, not purchasing goods from the US.
                That's not true - sales tax is applied to the purchase of goods and some services.

For example, the state of New York clarified in March 1993 whether pre-written software and custom software code was subject to sales tax. Up until that point, custom software code was not subject to sales tax, but now under certain circumstances (eg. modifying or enhancing pre-written software for a specific customer) are now taxable in NY.

Without knowing exactly what the OP is going to be doing for the client, then it's impossible to know whether there is any sales tax due or not.

There is plenty of information about sales tax on the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website. In particular, I'd have a look at the Quick Reference Guide for Taxable and Exempt Property and Services, and if you are going to be working with software, document TSB-M-93 (3) S.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  If you are providing electronically delivered services to the client, and they have a presence in the UK as well, then the whole contract may not be outside the scope of VAT.
                  Thanks, but the client could not be considered to have any UK presence.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    There is plenty of information about sales tax on the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website. In particular, I'd have a look at the Quick Reference Guide for Taxable and Exempt Property and Services, and if you are going to be working with software, document TSB-M-93 (3) S.
                    Thanks, those are helpful links.

Comment

Working...
                    X