• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Car Tax - between companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    So, let me get this straight - you want to become a contractor but you will be doing the same job you are doing down, for the same employer, under the same conditions and with the same company car. Is your employer paying you more to work for him on this basis?

If your earnings warrant it you will still be paying 40% tax regardless of whether you are employee, contractor or Mr Benn
    That is exactly right. I just didn't know if I could avoid the company car tax as effectively my company would be doing work for them, not myself. However since the original post I understand that I have a slightly more complicated matter of IR35 to look into first.

Thanks for your reply tho.

Comment

Originally posted by dmh View Post
      That is exactly right. I just didn't know if I could avoid the company car tax as effectively my company would be doing work for them, not myself. However since the original post I understand that I have a slightly more complicated matter of IR35 to look into first.

Nothing complicated about it. You are inside. Most clear cut example I have seen tbh.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dmh View Post

As NLUK says you will most definitely, without question be inside IR35 which means that any money you earn through your company would be subject to PAYE tax - you would be liable for income tax, employee's NI and employer's NI. You would also lose all the benefits of being a permanent employee so unless you can negotiate a rate considerably above your current salary you would be a lot worse off.
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
        X