• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment required for my wife?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nathan SJD Accountancy View Post
    Hi,

Yep, that is what I would expect, but they wouldn't confirm it verbally, they would issue the request in writing, but only if they did not issue a letter before 31 October 2012 asking your partner to do one.

Are you sure they didn't send a letter or any other correspondence though? HMRC rarely miss issuing them out. If anything, they are too quick to send them out.

HM Revenue & Customs: Sending your Self Assessment tax return

Actually, if your partner already has a UTR number, you have all the details you need to submit it before the 31 Jan deadline.
    Deffo no return request. In fact, I remember now, she even got a letter saying she didnt need to send in a tax return. So did I but, of course, with dividend income I knew I'd have to do one and my accountants did mine months ago.

I think what's happened is they got my letter advising them that the partnership would end, and even though, I told them she would be continuing as sole trader they ignored this bit. Of course, then I started contracting in May 2011 again and paying her dividends but they dont know about that yet.

Time to phone them and own up of course but it would be nice if they gave me an extra 3 months. lol. Then again, surely everyone would do that, keep their details secret, phone up Jan 30th and get 3 months extension?

But then as per HMRC link that nluk came up with, I'd imagine the onus is on the person to decide if they have to do a return and not just wait for HMRC to work it out?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Deffo no return request. In fact, I remember now, she even got a letter saying she didnt need to send in a tax return. So did I but, of course, with dividend income I knew I'd have to do one and my accountants did mine months ago.

I think what's happened is they got my letter advising them that the partnership would end, and even though, I told them she would be continuing as sole trader they ignored this bit. Of course, then I started contracting in May 2011 again and paying her dividends but they dont know about that yet.

Time to phone them and own up of course but it would be nice if they gave me an extra 3 months. lol. Then again, surely everyone would do that, keep their details secret, phone up Jan 30th and get 3 months extension?

But then as per HMRC link that nluk came up with, I'd imagine the onus is on the person to decide if they have to do a return and not just wait for HMRC to work it out?
      Hi,

Exactly. HMRC always put the onus on the tax payer. If I remember the letter that you are referring to correctly as well. It does say on there, that should the cirucmstances change... (or words to that effect) then a return is due.

My advice is to submit one before 31st Jan deadline. just because you already know the UTR.

Comment

Once again HMRC advice is a clear as mud. I tried Googling ig HMRC consider dividends investment income and I got this off the HMRC webpage

Declaring dividend income on your Self Assessment tax return
        If you normally complete a tax return you'll need to show the dividend income on it.
        If you don't complete a tax return, but you have higher rate of tax to pay on your dividend income, you should contact HMRC.

I pay my wife dividends which together with her PAYE income which is very low don't take her into the upper tax bracket. I contacted SJD and they told me she did need to do a tax return but without asking for any details of her circumstances. This is one things that annoys me about SJD although on the whole they are quite good you seem to get different answers to certain questions depending on who you speak to,

Comment

If you're not sure ask HMRC for a form, fill it in and see if they ask for one the following year. Yes its a bit of work now but its better than the £100+ a day fines they can give you for not filling in a form when you should have done.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just to update... I called the HMRC, they told me to "s*d off", as I can't talk to them about my spouses circumstance (fair enough) ... my wife called and they said she would need to (based on 'investment income')

They said here UTR would arrive in January .... didn't mention any deferred date..... so that doesn't leave much time to register for on-line and get the return made.

As for the HMRC on-line return .. I did mine last year and (in my total ignorance of all thing financial), it seemed straightforward... painful bit was finding all of the relevant records.

Comment

Originally posted by jumbojake View Post
              Just to update... I called the HMRC, they told me to "s*d off", as I can't talk to them about my spouses circumstance (fair enough) ... my wife called and they said she would need to (based on 'investment income')

They said here UTR would arrive in January .... didn't mention any deferred date..... so that doesn't leave much time to register for on-line and get the return made.

As for the HMRC on-line return .. I did mine last year and (in my total ignorance of all thing financial), it seemed straightforward... painful bit was finding all of the relevant records.
              Where they able to register her for self assessment over the phone. The only way I can see to do it at the moment is via this form

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/forms/sa1.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by davetza View Post
                Where they able to register her for self assessment over the phone. The only way I can see to do it at the moment is via this form
                http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/forms/sa1.pdf
                Thats interesting. They used to have the phone number on the SA1 form saying "If you need to complete a tax return, first you must register for
                Self Assessment to get a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). The easiest way to do this is to phone the Self Assessment Helpline on 0845 900 0444."

Try the phone number anyway - it beats having to rely on the post.
                2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

another update .... apparently I didn't listen to my wife (didn't think that was part of the marriage contract) ... apparently she will get a deferral for submitting the return ... 3months + 1 week for some reason.

If it is at all possible, I will attempt to complete before the 31st Jan ... just in case.

also, 'YES', she could register over the phone... although the UTR is sent in the post, told to expect it in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan SJD Accountancy View Post
                    Hi,

Exactly. HMRC always put the onus on the tax payer. If I remember the letter that you are referring to correctly as well. It does say on there, that should the cirucmstances change... (or words to that effect) then a return is due.

My advice is to submit one before 31st Jan deadline. just because you already know the UTR.
                    Yeh. I was going to....

Comment

Phoned HMRC today for the Mrs. She wasn't down for a tax return for year ending april 2012.

Explained to them that she'd been self-employed and she was also getting dividends so they said, ok we'll send a tax return request but you've got 3 months from date of receipt not jan 31st. Result - no rush now.

They did advise to phone self -employment HMRC dept and they confirmed she was still registered self-employed. Think HMRC cocked up on this one to be honest.

But like everyone else, I wonder if they'd be so forgiving if you phoned them of jan 25th and expect a 3 month extension. In my case, I didnt tell them about mrs dividends but shes been registered self-employed since 2008 so no idea why the suddenly decided this year not to bother.

Comment

Working...
                      X