• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAt Return : Flat Rate Scheme Box 6 value?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAt Return : Flat Rate Scheme Box 6 value?

I am getting myself in a bit of a mix up and need some clarification.

The HMRC Online filing for VAT shows a descriptive text for Box 6 as "Total value of sales and all other outputs excluding any VAT..."

However this hmrc link suggests otherwise that Box 6 should include VAT

Which is correct ?

figures for illustration :-

Assume industry flat rate percentage of 14.5%
    Assume Sales for Return period is £12000 i.e. (£10000 + £2000 of VAT)

I would expect Box 1 figure to be £1740 ( i.e. 14.5%*12000)
    I would expect Box 6 figure to be £10000 instead of £12000

which value is right is box6 ?

cheers

css_jay99

If you're flat rate then it's the gross value that goes in box 6, not the net.

HMRC just haven't updated their online forms.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post

I agree with Clare.

P.S. I don't think HMRC will ever update the VAT Returns for the flat rate box 6 though.

Seems like Waaaayyy too much effort for them to do that.

Comment

cheers.

, I have always been putting into box 6 the net Value(i.e. Exclusive of 20%VAT) for the last 6 years!.

Though Box 1 figure is correct it's strange they never pulled me up on that !.

I am assuming I don't need to start making correction cos 6yrs is a long way to go

css_jay99

Comment

I agree with the other accountants that have already posted

and HMRC have not updated their forms for VAT return box 6 now there is a surprise

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
            cheers.

, I have always been putting into box 6 the net Value(i.e. Exclusive of 20%VAT) for the last 6 years!.

Though Box 1 figure is correct it's strange they never pulled me up on that !.

I am assuming I don't need to start making correction cos 6yrs is a long way to go

css_jay99
            Keep in mind that when you correct the way you do it next quarter HMRC may well notice and ask you to explain yourself. It should be a simple case of saying "D'oh, sorry - here's my returns and what should have been declared" and that'll be an end to it.

By putting the gross in box 6 it allows them to easily see Box 6 x 14.5% = box 1. Yours will suddenly show a different percentage, which may raise a flag.

Comment

Keep in mind that when you correct the way you do it next quarter HMRC may well notice and ask you to explain yourself. It should be a simple case of saying "D'oh, sorry - here's my returns and what should have been declared" and that'll be an end to it.

By putting the gross in box 6 it allows them to easily see Box 6 x 14.5% = box 1. Yours will suddenly show a different percentage, which may raise a flag.
              It may equally well not raise a flag as I can imagine its such a common error they accept both 14.5% of box 6 and 17.4% of box 6.

I guess the best approach is to not change the way you fill the form in until told otherwise or you change your agent / accountant.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                It may equally well not raise a flag as I can imagine its such a common error they accept both 14.5% of box 6 and 17.4% of box 6.

I guess the best approach is to not change the way you fill the form in until told otherwise or you change your agent / accountant.
                Agreed - I mention it only because I've seen it happen.

I'd still recommend you change the way you do it to the proper way though, otherwise an innocent error becomes a deliberate one. If you have nothing to hide, then there's no fear involved in them asking what the score is anyway.

Comment

It does not appear they have been looking for the last 6years because since I have been incorrectly using net sales figure in box6, i would have thought they should have been writing me a letter that I am paying too much VAT since my Box 6 x 14.5% was always less than my Box1 figure

Comment

Still waiting for my inspection letter.....

Mind you I did sign up for a VAT course and went immediately after I realised I had done it wrong.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X