• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was rebalancing my portfolio due to the Russian crisis, and came across this what looks like a gem:
    Lumen technologies

https://www.fool.com/quote/nyse/lumn/

It's been beaten down due to declining revenues but when you look closer it looks like a turn around. Basically a telecomms company shifting from copper to fibreglass. But it does look like that the infrastructure is largely in place for a big turn around in 2023.

It's currently paying a 10% dividend.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 March 2022, 08:32.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I was rebalancing my portfolio due to the Russian crisis...
      I suspect some investors will be looking at ways of investing in Russia via cloaking. Follow JRM's money trail and see where his companies are putting their cash in the next month or so.
      Ignoring any moral implications, the biggest risk is that Putin freezes out all foreign investors (or maybe all except China, for example) In which case, get your Cayman Islands company to invest in a Seychelles company that works its way back via China to Russia.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I suspect some investors will be looking at ways of investing in Russia via cloaking. Follow JRM's money trail and see where his companies are putting their cash in the next month or so.
        Ignoring any moral implications, the biggest risk is that Putin freezes out all foreign investors (or maybe all except China, for example) In which case, get your Cayman Islands company to invest in a Seychelles company that works its way back via China to Russia.
        Gazprom and Lukoil seem to be the only shares still trading in Europe, but I suspect trading will probably cease by the end of the week. Russian ETF's are tradeable though and probably will remain so.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 March 2022, 09:09.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
          MSTR provides exposure to approximately .95 BTC per 100 shares and is purchasable via your SIPP (once you have completed a W-8BEN form on your SIPP platform). Currently trading at $550.05 per share, with analyst price targets as low as $360 from Citigroup yesterday, it could be considered a future buy if you are bullish on the prospects for crypto, and are comfortable mixing business value and BTC value.

Here is a nice chart from the Reddit thread, that suggests valuations based on varying BTC prices. Note that currently BTC is $31000, which aligns with the current negative analyst consensus.

Always interesting to look at past analysis and see how things have changed.

MSTR current trading at $420 and BTC a little under $41K, which pretty much aligns with the table above!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            MSTR current trading at $420 and BTC a little under $41K, which pretty much aligns with the table above!
            A while back, someone mentioned Argo Blockchain (ARB), listed on the LSE, for exposure to BTC. But it's share price has a poor correlation with BTC. MSTR seems like it could be a much better proxy.

I'm not interested in long-term investing in crypto but I was going to do a bit of short-term trading with one of the BTC ETFs in my SIPP, until they barred them. I guess I could use MSTR instead, although I'd need to do a bit of research to see how close the correlation really is.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

MSTR seems to act like a leverage play on BTC. When BTC is bullish, it goes up more than BTC; when BTC is bearish, it goes down more than BTC.

There has only been a correlation for about a year or so, since the company started loading up on BTC, so I'm not sure how reliable a proxy it will be going forward.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies...k-ftx/mstr/btc
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
              X