• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd probably stick it in an ISA and get two good performing funds and just cross my fingers. My fave punts would probably be Baillie Gifford American, AXA Fram tech or Polar Capital tech and hope for the best.
    Log back in next year and see how I did.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I'd probably stick it in an ISA and get two good performing funds and just cross my fingers. My fave punts would probably be Baillie Gifford American, AXA Fram tech or Polar Capital tech and hope for the best.
      Log back in next year and see how I did.
      Baillie Gifford can’t do anything wrong currently.

The only fund I don’t have that’s not with them is SSON, and that’s because it’s part of Terry Smiths group, and I avoid funds(Woodford is an example why).

Lets be honest..I’m a massive SMT fan, Anderson and Slater have shown over the past 10 years they are incredible stockpickers.

I went with MNKS because is not my own money and it’s less volatile.
      Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 8 October 2020, 07:05.

Comment

Seems after the excitement on Monday/Tuesday everyone has either (a)taken a position waiting for the Vaccine injections to happen eventually or (b)have switched back to Tech Stocks prospering whilst we are locked down...or I guess (c) sit on cash

Also read that Biden is in talks about a future(post Donny so January) US lockdown. If so, Big Tech again will prosper.

What’s everyone else’s plans.

Personally, I used the last 3 days as an opportunity to move my portfolio around(based on b)but I stay fully invested.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
          Seems after the excitement on Monday/Tuesday everyone has either (a)taken a position waiting for the Vaccine injections to happen eventually or (b)have switched back to Tech Stocks prospering whilst we are locked down...or I guess (c) sit on cash

Also read that Biden is in talks about a future(post Donny so January) US lockdown. If so, Big Tech again will prosper.

What’s everyone else’s plans.

Personally, I used the last 3 days as an opportunity to move my portfolio around(based on b)but I stay fully invested.
          Plan is to carry on as normal. Investing when I have cash available. Seems like the only reasonable course of action since nobody knows what's going to happen. So stick to the plan is my plan. If you don't have a plan, then make one first. This year there have been times when it feels uncomfortable to invest and they are usually the best times to invest looking back.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Wise words from the Sage of Monaco.

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
            Shares of Tesla Inc. notched their longest losing streak in more than two months, down for a fourth straight session and ending the week off 7.6%.

The stock was the second-worst performer on the Nasdaq-100 NDX, -0.21% on Friday, suffering its lowest close in two weeks. Over the four-day losing stretch, shares fell more than 7%, tipping the stock to monthly losses of more than 1%.

Tesla TSLA, -0.47% shares on Monday closed at a record $385, supplanting a previous all-time close of $383.45 in June.

On Tuesday, analysts at Jefferies started their coverage on the stock, siding with the bears: They rated the shares their equivalent of sell and forecast the company to lose money at least until 2020, one year past what other analysts have predicted for Tesla.
            It's fascinating isn't it. There are going to be some huge casualties in this sector over the coming years. China are indeed very much into this and will have absolutely no hesitation in screwing Tesla to the floor. Couple that with all the existing car manufacturers who are pouring billions in and new, well funded entrants coming in (Dyson for one), you have to think that the ludicrous valuation Tesla has will evaporate sooner rather than later. They have little proprietary knowledge and no idea how to mass build cars. Once the press starts to turn against Musk then his woefully inaccurate projections will be highlighted and investors will run a mile. In the meantime, Jeff Bezos will quietly carry on killing Space X with Blue Origin.
            I think he is more likely to develop some tech during the project which he will end up licencing - perhaps get some return that way. I agree difficult to see them turning into a car company. I think people forget just how difficult it actually is to build a car.
            Yep. Wait for the dead cat bounce then short again. This stock has a long way to go down yet.
            Agreed. What the valuations at present reflect is that this is considered to be a tech company, which of course it really isn't it. I fail to see the massive upside the current values envisage. The likes of VW and BMW are already producing better electric cars, with better tech, on time and have huge upscaling capabilities. Whatever foothold Tesla get is dwarfed by the existing car companies.
            I chose the wrong career.....

I think they are down about 15% since I called it.
            Tesla’s share price is down more than 20 per cent since mid-September, and it is the most shorted US stock by dollar volume, according to figures from analyst S3 Partners. Investors who believe the share price will fall have placed bets worth $8.2bn. That is equivalent to 16 per cent of shares outstanding, according to Bloomberg data.

The doubts are well founded. As of last month, the total number of Tesla vehicles ever produced reached 250,000. Volkswagen and Toyota each make that number every 10 days. The traditional carmakers have decades of experience that give them real advantages in building efficient production lines and managing long supply chains.

While Tesla has been grabbing all the headlines, General Motors has been quietly building mass market electric cars. In the 10 months to October 31, it has delivered 17,083 of its brand new Chevrolet Bolt fully electric vehicles and another 16,710 Volt plug-in hybrids. It also promised that it would produce at least 20 new electric models by 2023.

The market is listening. GM shares are up 30 per cent in the past 12 months, and it has reclaimed its crown as the most valuable US car group, after briefly losing it to Tesla. GM is gaining market share in conventional cars and many investors believe that it is better positioned than many peers to survive the coming shift to electric and driverless vehicles. Not only does GM have the Bolt, it also put $500m into ride-hailing company Lyft in early 2016.
            Its extraordinary he still gets away with the same game. Massive delays in the Model 3, poor build quality, missed targets by miles, losing more cash than any company in history, and he announces yet another new product which won't ever come close to his predictions of either delivery or performance and will have a tiny market even if it does get built. More and more I think this is going the way of a Ponzi

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Wise words from the Sage of Monaco.
              You spotted a trend there then?

Comment

tesla gets a mention here ....

FTSE 100 surges as City guru warns of stock market bubble risk | Business | The Guardian

yours NOT timing the market but with time in the market :-)

Comment

Hargreaves Lansdown co-founder cashes in GBP300m stake | Hargreaves Lansdown | The Guardian

I don't have anything with HL and have no idea if this is a sign of something or just an old bloke wanting a bit of cash in his dotage?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Hargreaves Lansdown co-founder cashes in GBP300m stake | Hargreaves Lansdown | The Guardian

I don't have anything with HL and have no idea if this is a sign of something or just an old bloke wanting a bit of cash in his dotage?
                    He has no day to day involvement with HL and hasn't had for a number of years. It's pocket money to him. I'd say it's of no consequence myself.

Comment

Anyone else been buying into Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust during its recent drop of more than 30%? Looks to be recovering somewhat today.

Comment

Working...
                      X