• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Redundancy then contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundancy then contracting

I am about to start a contract after being made redundant.

I have been made redundant and will be paid off to the tune of £105000 at the end of May. Obviously aside from £30K tax free, the remaining payment will take me over the 40% tax threshold for 2012/2013. Does this mean that any payments to myself from my limited company via salary or dividend will be taxed at 40%.

If so, can I retain the profits in the company until 2013/2014 when I will have a new tax allowance.

Any thoughts on the best way to handle this in a legitimate way would be really helpful.

Regards.
    Dave

Step 1. Read the guides on the right. They will explain the different ways PAYE and divis are taxed

Step 2. Get an accountant. There are quite a few on here and there are some recommended on this thread. http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-security.html

PCG also have a list of accredited ones but some of our more esteemed accountants that post here are not on it.

Step 3. Speak to you accountant to get him up to speed with your situation, explain VAT and contractor taxation to you.

He can then take you through all the first steps and tell you what you need to know and what you don't know at present
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi Vicenza,

Yes, that is correct. Any dividends or salary you take from your business will be taxed at the higher rate. If you don't need the money to live on, then retaining profits in the company until the new tax year starts will work - and yes, it is legitimate. You could also consider other things like contributing some of your company funds to your personal pension.
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

100k redundancy... Not so bad being a permie after all.

Comment

Can you put 75K into a pension? (There is a 50K a year limit, but you may also be able to use unused allowances from three previous years.)

Alternatively, you could put you contract earnings there.

Or some combination of the above.

This will help with tax, though of course you may not want to postpone using the money until age 55.

If you are IR35-caught it may not be possible to postpone your earnings into a different year. In that case the pension option is particularly attractive, as pension contributions are treated the same as salary in reducing your IR35 liability.

It's possible that part of the redundancy payment could be paid directly into a pension. Not sure if there is NI on redundancy, if there is there might be additional savings from doing that. All ex-employer would have to do is fill in a simple form and write a cheque to your pension scheme.
          Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 24 April 2012, 09:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicenza View Post
            I am about to start a contract after being made redundant.

I have been made redundant and will be paid off to the tune of £105000 at the end of May. Obviously aside from £30K tax free, the remaining payment will take me over the 40% tax threshold for 2012/2013. Does this mean that any payments to myself from my limited company via salary or dividend will be taxed at 40%.

If so, can I retain the profits in the company until 2013/2014 when I will have a new tax allowance.

Any thoughts on the best way to handle this in a legitimate way would be really helpful.

Regards.
            Dave
            £100K redundancy. Nice one.

Need accountant to advise you on this one but yes you will have to pay tax. I'd keep it in company if I were you.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X