• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
    Oh dear. I knew someone would ask! OK I was thinking hypothetically.
    Mine.

    Comment


      Interesting...

      my MP - who I visited back in May has contacted Danny Alexander - I have been copied in on the letter sent... paraphrasing it says...

      my constituent... involved in a tax planning scheme for a number of years...
      now owes tens of thousands of pounds...
      our understanding is the previous government pledged to hear 4 test cases and agreed to adhere by the decision... these 4 test cases were never heard...
      on behalf of my constituent I would be grateful to hear what this government is intending to with section 58 but also learn whether or not this government intends to hear those 4 test cases

      seems like my MP has taken a different approach :-)

      Comment


        Payment letter from HMRC

        Hi Guys,

        Quick question - i received a closure notice last month, giving me 30 days to appeal/pay up etc etc, Montpelier appealed it on the 14th i think was the date. Anyway, just received a threatening letter from the taxman saying i missed the payment deadline etc etc and if i don't pay up it will be passed to the deb collection office etc etc.

        Just wondering if this is a case of one dept not talking to another one ? Any idea what to do about this, should i just leave it to Montpelier, bit concerned the appeal got lost in the post or something...

        Cheers

        Comment


          Originally posted by GBHuhd View Post
          Hi Guys,

          Quick question - i received a closure notice last month, giving me 30 days to appeal/pay up etc etc, Montpelier appealed it on the 14th i think was the date. Anyway, just received a threatening letter from the taxman saying i missed the payment deadline etc etc and if i don't pay up it will be passed to the deb collection office etc etc.

          Just wondering if this is a case of one dept not talking to another one ? Any idea what to do about this, should i just leave it to Montpelier, bit concerned the appeal got lost in the post or something...

          Cheers
          Get on to Montpelier straight away. It sounds like the enforcement mob have jumped the gun even though the CN has been appealed. This has happened on countless occasions before. People have even had thugs turn up on the doorstep.

          Comment


            Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Get on to Montpelier straight away. It sounds like the enforcement mob have jumped the gun even though the CN has been appealed. This has happened on countless occasions before. People have even had thugs turn up on the doorstep.

            God, right - will do. Thanks DR

            Comment


              Originally posted by Cornish Cream View Post
              my MP - who I visited back in May has contacted Danny Alexander - I have been copied in on the letter sent... paraphrasing it says...

              my constituent... involved in a tax planning scheme for a number of years...
              now owes tens of thousands of pounds...
              our understanding is the previous government pledged to hear 4 test cases and agreed to adhere by the decision... these 4 test cases were never heard...
              on behalf of my constituent I would be grateful to hear what this government is intending to with section 58 but also learn whether or not this government intends to hear those 4 test cases

              seems like my MP has taken a different approach :-)
              Well at least he's addressing it to someone other than Gauke. I think that's quite positive. And he's Lib Dem.

              Got cobblered with 07/08 the other week. Shares in TGE Plc down another 25%. Damage level now well into the red - frightening. Got to be a solution to this mess.

              I'm interested to know the specific challenges HMRC were making prior to the Padmore-out-of-a-Hat slight of hand. No useful response to the mail so will ph direct and ask handset-to-handset "why you changed your mind".

              Comment


                Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                I voted Tory in the last election and what has it achieved? Bugger all...
                You don't know that. The Tories seem to be saying "we're just carrying on what Labour set up". You don't know if Labour had got in, they might not only be continuing this but extending it. Even if all parties represent different evils, voting for the lesser evil makes sense.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

                Comment


                  Originally posted by GBHuhd View Post
                  Hi Guys,

                  Quick question - i received a closure notice last month, giving me 30 days to appeal/pay up etc etc, Montpelier appealed it on the 14th i think was the date. Anyway, just received a threatening letter from the taxman saying i missed the payment deadline etc etc and if i don't pay up it will be passed to the deb collection office etc etc.

                  Just wondering if this is a case of one dept not talking to another one ? Any idea what to do about this, should i just leave it to Montpelier, bit concerned the appeal got lost in the post or something...

                  Cheers
                  Montpelier wrote to HMRC on 7th June to appeal a CN for me. I phoned HMRC on Friday to check if it had arrived and it hadn't. Woman said post goes via a central post dept and takes a while to arrive but did expect it by then. She was very helpful and said she would check post today and then phone Montpelier to check details and log the appeal if it hadn't arrived. I phoned again today to see what happened and no one answered phone. Guess HMRC were out.

                  Comment


                    Mike Freer MP

                    Anyone have Mike Freer (Finchley and Golders Green) as their MP?

                    Please PM or email me.

                    Thanks
                    DR

                    donkeyrhubarb AT rocketmail.com

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      You don't know that. The Tories seem to be saying "we're just carrying on what Labour set up". You don't know if Labour had got in, they might not only be continuing this but extending it. Even if all parties represent different evils, voting for the lesser evil makes sense.
                      Er, what do you think the tories have just done with IR35!?

                      As for Danny Alexander, well, just dont hold out any hope there whatsoever given his lead roles on the attack on PSC's recently.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X