• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
    With all this nonsense about APN's and Follower Notices doing the rounds I am beginning to wonder if the best outcome is if Montpelier give up the ghost...

Those in receipt of a follower notice or APN, especially if they purchased a CTD would probably be sensible settling. Lets see - HMRC policy promised to get back to me by the end of the month.

Got a mail merge response from Gauke regarding my question surrounding CTD's from several months ago - he didn't answer the question. Just the usual guff about doing the right thing by the "compliant" majority....

Of course I am still expecting HMRC to do the right thing
    unfortunately I have zero faith that HMRC will be any less the nasty spiteful bully boy organisation they have always been. These new powers give them even more reason to say YOU OWE US SO PAY THE F*** UP NOW! attitude. The laughable thing about it being that Lin Homer talks about us being "customers", aren't customers always right?

I cant see them giving any quarter at all. IMHO they will bankrupt someone to set an example up front that they wont F*** around with people not paying. TTP I suspect will be an exception. I reallllllly hope Im wrong, but they have been given the keys to the castle by Gauke, god help us all..................

i can pay DOTAS years for APN's, but was in it prior to DOTAS and if they ask for pre DOTAS payments and apply interest Im screwed!

RETRO LEGISLATIION IS NOT THE WAY TO PAY OFF THE DEFICIT!
    Last edited by smalldog; 17 July 2014, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      unfortunately I have zero faith that HMRC will be any less the nasty spiteful bully boy organisation they have always been. These new powers give them even more reason to say YOU OWE US SO PAY THE F*** UP NOW! attitude. The laughable thing about it being that Lin Homer talks about us being "customers", aren't customers always right?

I cant see them giving any quarter at all. IMHO they will bankrupt someone to set an example up front that they wont F*** around with people not paying. TTP I suspect will be an exception. I reallllllly hope Im wrong, but they have been given the keys to the castle by Gauke, god help us all..................

i can pay DOTAS years for APN's, but was in it prior to DOTAS and if they ask for pre DOTAS payments and apply interest Im screwed!

RETRO LEGISLATIION IS NOT THE WAY TO PAY OFF THE DEFICIT!
      Did you ever put a DOTAS number on any tax returns 04/05 onwards? I assume you used the same scheme all the way through?
      Thing is I don't think DOTAS applies if you carried on with a scheme that you started before the DOTAS regulations came into force (04/05 tax year and after). Certainly in all the correspondence I have had from HMRC they have never to my recollection mentioned it. I am having a look at the finance act from 2004 and it seems to exclude historic arrangements.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/12/part/7

Therefore my best guess is that those who started using the scheme pre 2004 should not be in receipt of an APN.

This does not exempt them from follower notices but as far as i know there hasn't been a related adverse FTTT judgement in the past two years so it is only our case we need to worry about.

Comment

Our reading of the 2004 DOTAS legislation is that it doesn't apply to any scheme that was already in use before the legislation came in. See 319 - Part 7: commencement and savings.

In other words, we don't think Montpelier needed to have registered it at all. Montpelier say they did it to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Our reading of the 2004 DOTAS legislation is that it doesn't apply to any scheme that was already in use before the legislation came in. See 319 - Part 7: commencement and savings.

In other words, we don't think Montpelier needed to have registered it at all. Montpelier say they did it to be on the safe side.
          So we will only have follower notices applied, not APN's? I joined in 2001..

Comment

Did DOTAS come in after 2004? e.g. the first self assessment return to have a number would be your 2004-2005 return.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              WHS, I suspect Watkin is more concerned with not getting banged up than whether we fight on!
              Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Even if found innocent I suspect he will head off to Barbados.
              I spoke with Watkin the other day and that’s certainly not the impression I got!
              Last edited by Fireship; 18 July 2014, 08:14.

Comment

This from RSS feed today https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...d-payments.pdf and https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...er-notices.pdf
                Last edited by LisaContractorUmbrella; 18 July 2014, 08:16.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
                  I spoke with Watkin the other day and that’s certainly not the impression I got!
                  Firstly many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Is there anything more you can say on forum? I would prefer if you said too little rather than too much.

Did he give any indication of when he is going give a donation to NTRT? Or even send us out a newsletter?

To be fair, he does all he has said he would would do for me when I joined. He fought all the way to HoL/SupremeCourt. Furthermore he has gone to Europe, which he does not have to do.

If he wants to keep his reputation intact then he can do more to help us. Hes got a backup plan - his money is offshore. Even suppose he got 7 years he will be out in 3.5 years. White collar guys get it very easy in prison - he might even enjoy himself. Even blue collar guys in rougher prisons have a good time of it. His offence is quite an acceptable one. All this talk about buggery in prisons is bollux. There are gays in there - they keep themselves to themselves.

If I was in his shoes I would make a donation to NTRT.

Comment

NICs

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Thanks Lisa.

So APNs will now be able to include NICs, as well as tax.

Comment

Thanks Lisa.

So APNs will now be able to include NICs, as well as tax.
                      Like it matters..... what are they going to do, make me double bankrupt?

Comment

Working...
                      X