• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty Money

I would happily contribute to that fund....can we make it happen?

I would love to know what dirty secrets Gauke is hiding and claiming the moral high ground....

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
      Section 58, since that is what this forum is about, has created in the region of 6,000 victims I understand.
      I would be very surprised if more than 10% of those affected are regularly contributing to the NTRT Lobby fund.

Such is life.
      According to most recent figures from HMRC, S58 affected 2,500.

Of those, 500 have settled, although that includes 150 Suo Motu back in 2003.

That leaves 2,000 people with open appeals.

We've got 25% as members.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        According to most recent figures from HMRC, S58 affected 2,500.

Of those, 500 have settled, although that includes 150 Suo Motu back in 2003.

That leaves 2,000 people with open appeals.

We've got 25% as members.
        I wonder if any of the other 350 who settled had an agreement like Suo Motu? Or if they were bullied into settling?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I wonder if any of the other 350 who settled had an agreement like Suo Motu? Or if they were bullied into settling?
          In July 2012, HMRC said 210 had settled. In August 2013, the figure had gone up to 403.

Some people, especially if they had a small liability, may have got fed up and just settled to be done with it.

I've no doubt there's been some bullying.

And we know for a fact that not everyone has paid the full amount.
          Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 13 July 2014, 08:35.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            count me in for a bit of dirty cash! Could do with a bit of a rent boy govt official scandal!

F em, theyve completely screwed us lot over, time to go to battle, tally ho!! a few private dicks wouldnt be that expensive if we all chip in. So there are 3 people that immediately jump to mind for a bit of probing....
            Wouldn't even have to dig very far. It's paedophiles galore at Westminster!
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              Wouldn't even have to dig very far. It's paedophiles galore at Westminster!
              And the reason they got away with is that the instinct is to protect the system. As it is now. Its the only way <mod snip> et all get away with it.
              Last edited by cojak; 13 July 2014, 16:50. Reason: Nope.

Comment

Best idea I've heard in a long time.
                If you organise this through NTRT - then count me in...
                I also agree we should be overt about it..

Comment

Originally posted by shazbat View Post
                  Best idea I've heard in a long time.
                  If you organise this through NTRT - then count me in...
                  I also agree we should be overt about it..
                  He who dares wins. Count me in too

Comment

MPs being exempted from tax legislation.

Originally posted by warlord View Post
                    He who dares wins. Count me in too
                    Count me in too.

If giving MPs exemption from certain new tax legislation wasn't proof enough that something is rotten, (and they are aware of it), a bit of hard evidence for the press and their constituents wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

More than 20 responses...

Does anyone have a link to the Hansard notes where Gauke recently stated that there had been "more than 20" responses to the APN/FN consultation document?

I wanted to mention this particular piece of (although technically true), deliberately misleading information in the latest letter to my MP.

Thanks,
                      D&C

Comment

Working...
                      X