• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/judgment...td-and-others/

Comment

Try this

http://www.tribunals.gov.uk/financea...v-Murray-G.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        I seem to remember the previous court decisions took months. Not sure about the FTT though.

Again... speculation and I don't have an answer.
        6 months. Possibly longer in a complex case like ours.

Comment

Thanks for the Link

I think this ruling sends a very clear message to everyone that no-one should just roll over and accept HMRC's opinion regarding the validity of EBT structures prior to Dec 2010.

With this thought in mind everyone affected, whether faced with APN/Follower notices etc, should group resources, employ someone like Andrew Thornhill and fight to get back everything taken from them.

Well implemented schemes will stand under judicial review.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            6 months. Possibly longer in a complex case like ours.
            But is our case really that complex now? I thought it would be pretty clear now due to S58?

Have NTRT decided what their next move is yet?

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
              But is our case really that complex now? I thought it would be pretty clear now due to S58?

There's the question of whether S58 applies. There's a better free movement of capital case. There's a question about NIC. There's a question about retrospective (pre-2008) interest. There's an issue of discrimination, preferential treatment given to others. All in all, there's quite a lot to chew over.

We are still reviewing options. More in the next newsletter.

Comment

There is always doubt.

Purchase your batman costume before the rush.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  There's the question of whether S58 applies. There's a better free movement of capital case. There's a question about NIC. There's a question about retrospective (pre-2008) interest. There's an issue of discrimination, preferential treatment given to others. All in all, there's quite a lot to chew over.

We are still reviewing options. More in the next newsletter.
                  Tune in for the next episide of soap....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)

Comment

APNs/Accelerated Payment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    Some slight good news...

When HMRC were questioned this week in Parliament on how they will use their powers (APN’s), Lin Homer said they will at this stage only seek accelerated payment in cases where there has already been a tribunal decision in their favour.

So I guess that at least buys us time up until the Huitson/Shiner FTT decision.

If it's not specifically mentioned in the legislation how this will operate then I suggest we need formal clarification of this crucial point. We should not put any faith in a soundbite to the press. If we receive an APN and then try to quote this as an argument not to pay, it will have no impact whatsoever.

We've all worked in the corporate world, we've seen management by expediancy - Lin Homer was put on the spot and she made up an answer - it's not thought through and can be rescinded or 'clarified' at any point in the future.

Alternatively she'll move on/be fired/retired in the near future and her successor will just say it was a misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      There is always doubt.

Purchase your batman costume before the rush.
                      I'll buy a Robin outfit if all the Batmans are sold!

Comment

Working...
                      X