• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front page headline CityAM

City MP Mark Field slams new tax grab | City A.M.

City MP slams new tax grab

SHARES 19
    by Michael BowJuly 9, 2014, 2:47am

George Osborne's plan to grab millions of pounds of tax back from a host of high-profile City names was criticised yesterday as concerns grew over the impact of tough new tax rules.

Mark Field, Conservative MP for the City of London, said: “To take a retroactive approach to schemes that have already been approved seems wholly wrong.

“This could set a precedent that could be used much more aggressively in future. I’ve got no problem with rules saying that in the past we’ve been overly generous but to claw back money from schemes from many years ago creates a lot uncertainty and that’s not good for the UK economy.”

Osborne has introduced new laws allowing Her Majesty’s Rev*enue & Customs to hit investors who put money into a film funding scheme with a retrospective tax bill.

HMRC will start demanding cash from investors – which include Centrica boss Sam Laidlaw, Bank of England’s Clara Furse, along with footballers David Beckham and Wayne Rooney – from Monday once the rules kick in.

The company that ran the film fund, Ingenious Media, called the decision “de facto retrospective, indiscriminate and unfair”.

The long-running saga has come to a head following the introduction of so-called “accelerated payment notices”, which let HMRC demand quick payment.

A tribunal hearing scheduled for November will rule on the decision but HMRC has already asked some members of the film funding scheme, called Ingenious Film Partners 2, to settle and receive a discount.

The Ingenious Film Partners 2 fund has helped fund a host of Hollywood hits, including Avatar.

Howard Weintrob, tax expert at accountancy firm Jeffreys Henry, said those hit should take advice, adding: “The new proposed legislation is here to stay.”

Meanwhile, senior MPs yesterday told Lin Homer, the chief executive of HMRC, that the tax grab was “wholly unacceptable”.

During a grilling by the Treasury select committee, Tory MP Steve Baker said that he was “horrified” by the plan, while John Thurso, a Liberal Democrat, suggested that the reform would breach the Magna Carta.

Thurso said that HMRC was trying to become “judge, jury and executioner” and that it wanted to remove legal protections simply because it was “slow and expensive” to follow legal process.

Comment

Just discussed on LBC/nick Ferrari. He does not sound pro HMRC and recognizes some of the issues at hand

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        and whats this????:

Ingenious has been writing to its investors warning them that the settlement offer, thought to reduce bills by 40 per cent, may not be open for long.
        It believes the offer will end once tax demand notices are issued.

Pardon??

Read more: David Beckham among stars to be hit with huge tax demands for Ingenious film scheme | Mail Online
        Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
        This is utterly outrageous to consider they are getting offered a discount!

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
          This is utterly outrageous to consider they are getting offered a discount!
          Yep, offered discount to settle early, we would like the same offer please!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
            City MP Mark Field slams new tax grab | City A.M.

City MP slams new tax grab

SHARES 19
            by Michael BowJuly 9, 2014, 2:47am

George Osborne's plan to grab millions of pounds of tax back from a host of high-profile City names was criticised yesterday as concerns grew over the impact of tough new tax rules.

Mark Field, Conservative MP for the City of London, said: “To take a retroactive approach to schemes that have already been approved seems wholly wrong.

“This could set a precedent that could be used much more aggressively in future. I’ve got no problem with rules saying that in the past we’ve been overly generous but to claw back money from schemes from many years ago creates a lot uncertainty and that’s not good for the UK economy.”

Osborne has introduced new laws allowing Her Majesty’s Rev*enue & Customs to hit investors who put money into a film funding scheme with a retrospective tax bill.

HMRC will start demanding cash from investors – which include Centrica boss Sam Laidlaw, Bank of England’s Clara Furse, along with footballers David Beckham and Wayne Rooney – from Monday once the rules kick in.

The company that ran the film fund, Ingenious Media, called the decision “de facto retrospective, indiscriminate and unfair”.

The long-running saga has come to a head following the introduction of so-called “accelerated payment notices”, which let HMRC demand quick payment.

A tribunal hearing scheduled for November will rule on the decision but HMRC has already asked some members of the film funding scheme, called Ingenious Film Partners 2, to settle and receive a discount.

The Ingenious Film Partners 2 fund has helped fund a host of Hollywood hits, including Avatar.

Howard Weintrob, tax expert at accountancy firm Jeffreys Henry, said those hit should take advice, adding: “The new proposed legislation is here to stay.”

Meanwhile, senior MPs yesterday told Lin Homer, the chief executive of HMRC, that the tax grab was “wholly unacceptable”.

During a grilling by the Treasury select committee, Tory MP Steve Baker said that he was “horrified” by the plan, while John Thurso, a Liberal Democrat, suggested that the reform would breach the Magna Carta.

Thurso said that HMRC was trying to become “judge, jury and executioner” and that it wanted to remove legal protections simply because it was “slow and expensive” to follow legal process.
            Yes, what is this kak about discounts while the indebted minions pay full price. Been told HM don't make deals.

Comment

Treasury Select Committee

Meeting yesterday.

Player

When questioned on how they will use the powers, Lin Homer said that they will at this stage only seek accelerated payment in cases where there has already been a tribunal decision in their favour. Whether they will then go onto other cases has not yet been decided.

Comment

Letter sent to MP

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                Yep, offered discount to settle early, we would like the same offer please!!!!!
                Dear Mark Menzies,

Once again I thank you for your continued support.

I write to you regarding my daily concerns over S58(4) of Finance Bill

I would expect HMRCs treatment of all tax planning schemes to be fair
                and to follow the same guidelines. However, I believe I am being
                unfairly treated and being discriminated against.

Not only was I never warned between 2003 and 2008 that retrospection
                would be used or that I was doing anything illegal but neither was I
                ever offered a deal to settle early.

You may recall that HMRC offered a deal to Suo Moto users whom had been
                involved in the same tax planning as the scheme I used. HMRC refused to
                offer this deal to me.

Today I read in the national press that users of the Liberty tax
                strategy are being offered a 40% reduction to settle early.

The Government and HMRC have maintained that the scheme I used was
                "aggresive" and "wholly exceptional". The same words used to describe
                the Liberty tax strategy - yet I'm not being offered a 40% reduction!

This is an outrageous injustice to those terrified of bankruptcy due to
                the retrospective nature of s58(4).

I would therefore appreciate if you could write to the minister
                concerned asking why our tax planning scheme is not being offered a
                similar discount if we settle early. This could mean the difference
                between bankruptcy and not and could avoid numerous lengthy court
                battles.

Yours sincerely,

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  Meeting yesterday.

Player

When questioned on how they will use the powers, Lin Homer said that they will at this stage only seek accelerated payment in cases where there has already been a tribunal decision in their favour. Whether they will then go onto other cases has not yet been decided.
                  Someone is feeling the heat, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                    Someone is feeling the heat, methinks.
                    Indeed.

The implications of sending out 43,000 retroactive tax bills may finally be dawning on them.

Comment

Coverage on sky: http://news.sky.com/story/1297710/ce...ho-avoided-tax

Comment

Working...
                      X