• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    There is another Labour MP who said pretty much the same thing to a constituent last week.

See if you can guess who.

Hint: white hair, black eyebrows.
    So what's his excuse for not doing something about this when he was in charge? I spoke to my MP in 2008 about BN66 and he wrote to the then Chancellor telling him that 'retrospection is immoral'.

Comment

Originally posted by nolongerlurker View Post
      Michael Weir (SNP) - Have been in touch a few times but have not spoken to him face to face
      It is definitely worth doing a face to face with your MP I was amazed at the response that I got especially as he was Labour; it is your right for him/her to see you.

I think you will be surprised how totally unaware MP’s are of BN66 and its impact.

We need to impress on as many MP’s as possible so as to put as much pressure on people such as DG.

Comment

Are you watching the server logs from the new campaign website? See if there is a spike this morning as HMRC wake up to the new phase of this sorry episode!
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by BS81 View Post
          I don't seem to be able to PM but I have written to my MP in Scotland twice (Jim Hood).

The reply to my first letter was the standard one from Gauke.

I have since sent another letter but have not yet had a response on this.
          Hi BS81 and welcome to the thread. PM rights are granted after you have made a few posts unless Admin look kindly upon you.

If you donate to the campaign you will have all the toys in the arsenal to make your point to your MP if he continues to feed you the party line.
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

woo hoo

Wow good effort guys.

Last time we met it was outside actual court room..so really please to be to put my money where my mouth is and sign up.

.. I may be CanPayButWouldRatherNot ... but happy to pay for this !!

Happy for my payment to be a first installment.

Now means I have a perfect document to hand to Mr Paul Burstow (Lib) of Sutton at my meeting this weekend.

Has always supported us in the past.

Cheers

CPBWNT

Comment

seeing my mp

just logged in ... excellent to see the help on offer for those just about to visit their MP ....NOW I am glad I waited to see my MP !

Comment

Anyone struggling to know what to write to their MP

Under the Members Area you will find the following documents prepared by the lobbying company Whitehouse.

Members' Area
                • Standard meeting request letter
                • Briefing note
                • Toolkit

Comment

Target MPs

Below are the MPs on the 2012 Budget Finance Bill Committee.

If your MP is one of these, get writing straight away.

One MP on this committee has already tentatively suggested raising an amendment for us.

(1) Chairs: Mr Jim Hood and Mr Peter Bone

(2) Members: Harriett Baldwin, Stephen Barclay, Tom Blenkinsop, Mr Aidan Burley, Charlie Elphicke, Mark Garnier, Mr David Gauke, Sheila Gilmore, Mr Sam Gyimah, Fabian Hamilton, Greg Hands, Richard Harrington, Julie Hilling, Mr Mark Hoban, Cathy Jamieson, Simon Kirby, Ian Lavery, Iain McKenzie, Seema Malhotra, John Mann, Ian Mearns, Nigel Mills, Graeme Morrice, Grahame M. Morris, John Pugh, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Rachel Reeves, Miss Chloe Smith, Owen Smith, Ian Swales, Mr Robert Syms, Stephen Williams, Gavin Williamson and Sammy Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Below are the MPs on the 2012 Budget Finance Bill Committee.

If your MP is one of these, get writing straight away.

One MP on this committee has already tentatively suggested raising an amendment for us.

(1) Chairs: Mr Jim Hood and Mr Peter Bone

(2) Members: Harriett Baldwin, Stephen Barclay, Tom Blenkinsop, Mr Aidan Burley, Charlie Elphicke, Mark Garnier, Mr David Gauke, Sheila Gilmore, Mr Sam Gyimah, Fabian Hamilton, Greg Hands, Richard Harrington, Julie Hilling, Mr Mark Hoban, Cathy Jamieson, Simon Kirby, Ian Lavery, Iain McKenzie, Seema Malhotra, John Mann, Ian Mearns, Nigel Mills, Graeme Morrice, Grahame M. Morris, John Pugh, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Rachel Reeves, Miss Chloe Smith, Owen Smith, Ian Swales, Mr Robert Syms, Stephen Williams, Gavin Williamson and Sammy Wilson.
                    Can you say who the MP is as we could all ask our MPs to contact him and support him?

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                      Can you say who the MP is as we could all ask our MPs to contact him and support him?
                      Fabian Hamilton. As I said it's only tentative, no firm commitment as yet.

He is PPS to Rachel Reeves who is Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury (Danny Alexander's opposite number).

In general, we are getting more support from Labour and LibDem MPs than the Tories.

Comment

Working...
                      X