• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Credit Card or not.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    If it's company credit card being used for business purposes then it's doesn't need to go on a P11D.......
    Does this mean that if I pay for a rail ticket using my company credit card for a business journey then it doesn't need to be reported on the P11D?

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
      I tried to find out what kind of credit limits people are having in their company credit cards. As mine is too low I have to put my exes on my personal card, and I prefer to not put it on the company debot card for various reasons.
      You can ask your bank for it to be increased but if like me you work out that the exchange rate is better on your personal cards then there is no point.

Also in lots of larger companies it's common not to give employees company cards. They use their own personal cards for expenses, and get reimbursed which can cause problems when they rack up a massive bill or their employer delays paying them.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by gary View Post
        Does this mean that if I pay for a rail ticket using my company credit card for a business journey then it doesn't need to be reported on the P11D?
        Is the rail ticket a legit business expense?

If so no need to go on the P11D.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Travelling to and from my temporary place of work, i.e. my end client's offices?

Comment

Um, yes it does*. Unless you have a P11D exemption covering travel.

Ditto for accommodation.

Doesn't matter whether the expense is incurred on company credit card or not (what this thread is about after all). In fact I'm still trying to understand where the relevance of P11D comes in wrt company credit card assuming we're only talking legit business expenses.

*Ready to stand corrected as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              If it's company credit card being used for business purposes then it's doesn't need to go on a P11D.......

Your employee uses a card you’ve provided to make a business purchase. They have your prior authority for the purchase and when making the purchase they make it clear that they are acting on behalf of your business. For a purchase to be clearly on your business’s behalf, both the following must apply:
              • your employee must explain in advance that the purchase is on your behalf
              • the supplier must accept that the purchase is on your behalf

What to report, what to pay
              Unless one of the exceptions referred to below applies, you have:

no reporting requirements
              no tax or NICs to pay

HM Revenue & Customs: Credit, debit and charge cards

The exceptions it refers to are when the employee doesn't have prior permission, and when it's not clearly on behalf of the company. As long as the card is used only for business then there's nothing to report.
              Thanks Clare.
              Taking the example of purchasing a rail ticket at the station using company card for business travel,
              1. Do i need to explain to the person at the window that the purchase is on behalf of the company, and
              2. She/he should accept that the purchase is for the company
              for it to be clearly on behalf of the business

Also, what happens if the purchase is online? Pls advise.

Comment

Originally posted by mongle View Post
                Thanks Clare.
                Taking the example of purchasing a rail ticket at the station using company card for business travel,
                1. Do i need to explain to the person at the window that the purchase is on behalf of the company, and

Putting this in a realistic context the railway company employee won't give a flying f*** about whether the travel is for private or business purposes.

However if you are requested to answer a "random" survey about your journey by the train operating company you need to clearly state your journey is for business purposes.

I've had to do these random surveys and they aren't anonymous as you have to put your postcode in. Depending where you live your postcode and other information you provide can easily identify you.

Likewise if you buy something and are asked what it's for you clearly need to say it's for a business purposes. Online if a company name is requested in the address field then you need to put it in.

Comment

Originally posted by mongle View Post
                  Thanks Clare.

Holy crap .. tell the person at the desk it is on behalf of the company !! Dear sweet jesus..... Please take me with you when you tell him and I will pay for it!!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Holy crap .. tell the person at the desk it is on behalf of the company !! Dear sweet jesus..... Please take me with you when you tell him and I will pay for it!!!
                    You are so polite.

I had to edit my reply before posting otherwise I'm sure I would have got banned.

Comment

You are so polite.

I had to edit my reply before posting otherwise I'm sure I would have got banned.
                      I did wonder but I thought being late on Friday and couple of cheeky vimto's had mellowed you
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X