• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tax-free directors salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax-free directors salary

Sorry that question has probalbly been done to death here.

What is the max salary I can pay myself as a director to avoid being taxed on it? is it £5304 or £7072?

thanks

Depends on your tax code ..

ps do a search, 589/month probably, ask your accountant yadda yadda

Comment

Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
      What is the max salary I can pay myself as a director to avoid being taxed on it? is it £5304 or £7072?
      thanks
      If you are looking at a ltd company salary purely in isolation, there are two types of tax to consider;
      (1) Tax (PAYE) - Tax will arise on a salary above the personal allowance, which for this year is £7,475
      (2) National Insurance (NIC) - Employers NI contributions arise on a salary above £7,072

A lot of contractors will pay themselves a salary of around £589 per month to keep below the NI threshold, but what you do will depend on your specific circumstances. Your accountant will be able to talk this through with you.
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

yeah that's what i meant sorry (staying below NI threshold) and I mean an Ltd company director's salary

I intend to use crunch.co.uk as accountants, it's an online service. They suggest a £7072 salary to stay below NI threshold but I heard it can be as low as £5304
        Last edited by ba55meister; 30 January 2012, 22:26.

Comment

Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
          yeah that's what i meant sorry (staying below NI threshold) and I mean an Ltd company director's salary

I intend to use crunch.co.uk as accountants, it's an online service. They suggest a £7072 salary to stay below NI threshold but I heard it can be as low as £5304
          Why would you want to stay below the NI band? Personally I pay myself a few hundred quid over the personal allowance. Pay around £100 then sit safe in the knowledge my NI stamp is paid. Same amount of paperwork as paying a few hundred quid less and trying to remember at what point the NI stamp gets paid.

Comment

HM Revenue & Customs: Rates and thresholds for employers

See "Class 1 NICs: thresholds" section.

The point in paying yourself a basic salary of between £5304 (LEL) to £7072 (ST) is that you don't pay any NI, yet still get the stamp.

At least that's what i always thought?
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              HM Revenue & Customs: Rates and thresholds for employers

See "Class 1 NICs: thresholds" section.

The point in paying yourself a basic salary of between £5304 (LEL) to £7072 (ST) is that you don't pay any NI, yet still get the stamp.

At least that's what i always thought?
              Correct, provided the salary exceeds the Lower Earnings Limit (LEL) of £5304 then the person 'earns' a year towards certain benefits, the main one being pension entitlement.

A salary of £7072 is currently the most efficient as your company will receive tax relief on the salary etc.

This level of salary can increase in April to £7,488 or £624 per month.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
                A salary of £7072 is currently the most efficient as your company will receive tax relief on the salary etc.
                I disagree. Most efficient salary is £7225 per year (or £602 per month).

Comment

Currently £136 per week.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Kugel View Post
                    I disagree. Most efficient salary is £7225 per year (or £602 per month).
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X