• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    By the way, it was nice of them to include their email addresses. If anyone feels like dropping them a line
    Yes. I was thinking that.

However if they have not got the bottle to come and reply on here (which I personally think is just not cricket) is there any chance of getting a reply?

I would like to ask whether Alan Branigan is a real person? I have heard that there have been 3 people who have used that name.

I remember when I was young and stupid and email bombed the Attorney General. Amazingly they did absolutely nothing about it - I never did understand why. Maybe it was just way to easy to block my ip address and I fell under the radar?

Comment

is this "newsletter/xmas card" worthy of mention on the front page ?

hello HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
        is this "newsletter/xmas card" worthy of mention on the front page ?

hello HMRC
        Its certainly worthy of mention on the joke thread! Inviting us to settle instead of getting a CTD - hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
          Has a date been set that our permission to appeal is granted/refused? I see from the Supreme Court website that decisions seem to be made around the start of the month.
          There is no fixed timescale but they usually take 3-4 months.

We applied at the beginning of October so I'm expecting a decision Jan/Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
            Hi,

Does the amount shown on the Closure Notices / Government Gateway include National Insurance due???
            It does with mine. The "only" item not included is interest.

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
              I received one of these addressed to someone else. They could not even get the name correct.
              Funny - exactly the same happened to me. Different name!

Comment

Closure Notice with no prior enquiry

Have you received a Closure Notice where there was no prior enquiry opened in to that particular tax year?

One person who this happened to has challenged HMRC and they conceded that they should not have done this and have cancelled the sums owing from their account.

If this happened to you then write to whoever issued the CN and ask that they do the same.

Comment

Back!!!

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  no prior enquiry opened in to that particular tax year?
                  Hi Donkey - long time no speak!! Little one 19 months now - seems like a long time since we were first sat in the court room when I was 6 months pregnant.

Anyway - I have been off line for a while - and saw this and wondered if I needed to undertand something more? What paperwork do I need to look for to show this or otherwise?

Any chance of cheeky request... an update to first page. Always helps husband undertsand current position

Thx
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Take tax year 2001/2 for example.

The SA return would have been filed in Jan 2003. HMRC would have had until 31 Jan 2004 to open an enquiry. This would have been a letter saying they were enquiring under Code of Practice 8 (COP8).

In a signicant number of cases they failed to open an enquiry in time. These fall into 2 categories:

1) HMRC subsequently opened a COP8 enquiry under Discovery
                    2) HMRC never opened an enquiry and just sent out a Closure Notice

It is the latter (2) which they are now conceding was not correct. As far as I know they are still claiming (1) was permissible but this is something that Montpelier utterly refutes. I imagine this would have to be decided in a tax tribunal unless HMRC backs down beforehand.

(ps. I will update the 1st page this week)

Comment

Several people have contacted me about the above.

If you think you haven't received enquiries for some CNs then I suggest the following as a first step.

Write to HMRC and ask them to provide proof (eg. dates when they wrote to you) that they opened enquiries into each of your tax returns.

Comment

Working...
                      X