• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel and Travel Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pookgai View Post
    all good info to absorb.
    Which you clearly haven't

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys - all good info to absorb.

Here's another related question - I find my employees and other directors in my company are losing morale and focus, so am thinking about holding a number of business meetings to get to the bottom of it.

I am planning to hold these sessions in restaurants, and perhaps some long weekends inland...if i put in expense claims to conduct these morale boosting/employee fact finding business meetings, how do I prove to HMRC that they aren't bogus, and remove suspicion that they might think its..oh, i don't know...just me going to a restaurant/holiday with my wife.
      I bet HMRC have never heard that one before! Unless you can provide concrete evidence - don't do it - Hector assumes that you are guilty until proven innocent.

If you are found out, you can bet he will take an interest in all tax affairs past and present.

Comment

I am planning to hold these sessions in restaurants, and perhaps some long weekends inland...if i put in expense claims to conduct these morale boosting/employee fact finding business meetings, how do I prove to HMRC that they aren't bogus, and remove suspicion that they might think its..oh, i don't know...just me going to a restaurant/holiday with my wife.
        I think you can do it but there are special rules for entertaining and you're not allowed to offset these expenses against tax so not much point in doing it unless it's a genuine business entertainment. Otherwise everyone would be ripping it.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Here's another related question - I find my employees and other directors in my company are losing morale and focus, so am thinking about holding a number of business meetings to get to the bottom of it.

1. You can't do it that way because it stinks

2. You have a certain tax exemption every year that totals £150 per head in which you can hold parties however you need to hold them every year. Most people use them for the Christmas party but you are allowed to say have a Christmas party and a summer bbq if the total comes up to £150 per employee per year. HM Revenue & Customs: Social functions for employees, including annual parties
          and EIM21690 - Particular benefits: annual parties and other social functions

3. Business entertainment is allowed as an expense but you don't get any tax relief or a tax exemption on it so it's not worth doing it unless it is really business entertainment.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            1. You can't do it that way because it stinks

2. You have a certain tax exemption every year that totals £150 per head in which you can hold parties however you need to hold them every year. Most people use them for the Christmas party but you are allowed to say have a Christmas party and a summer bbq if the total comes up to £150 per employee per year. HM Revenue & Customs: Social functions for employees, including annual parties
            and EIM21690 - Particular benefits: annual parties and other social functions

3. Business entertainment is allowed as an expense but you don't get any tax relief or a tax exemption on it so it's not worth doing it unless it is really business entertainment.
            Cheers all. I knew that entertainment isn't tax deductible, but I didn't think it would be seen as that - e.g. if it was a training course, you would claim for the cost of the training and the cost of travelling to and accomodation for the duration. So in the same vein, this business meeting would be an internally ran meeting where we would need accomodation and expensed meals as we aren't at the main office. Plus the business meeting would be purely that rather than a team building away day type affair.

I agree though, it does stink!! Ive met some contractors who claim this and just want to see whether this is the general majority practice of people on this forum - any one care to raise their hand first that they do this?

Comment

Cheers all. I knew that entertainment isn't tax deductible, but I didn't think it would be seen as that - e.g. if it was a training course, you would claim for the cost of the training and the cost of travelling to and accomodation for the duration. So in the same vein, this business meeting would be an internally ran meeting where we would need accomodation and expensed meals as we aren't at the main office. Plus the business meeting would be purely that rather than a team building away day type affair.

I agree though, it does stink!! Ive met some contractors who claim this and just want to see whether this is the general majority practice of people on this forum - any one care to raise their hand first that they do this?
              It's not a training course - it's a jolly! The moral boosting exercises could be undertaken just as well in the main office; the travel and accommodation is an unnecessary cost. No-one with an ounce of sense would do what you suggested.
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

want to see whether this is the general majority practice of people on this forum - any one care to raise their hand first that they do this?
                I doubt the majority of people here do this kind of thing and I doubt even more that you'll get someone stupid enough (except maybe Kandr) to openly admit to this on an open forum where Hector has been rumoured to read.....

Comment

Believe it or not in some companies a few managers actually pay for a round of drinks, bring in nibbles i.e. cakes or in rare cases vouchers for their team as moral boasters out of their own pockets. Their company doesn't reimburse them and neither does the tax man and most importantly they don't ask for it.

If your team is so down in the dumps then may be you need to change your management style i.e. treat them better which includes dipping into your own personal pocket. It's amazing how showing people that they are appreciated and trusted in small ways does for staff moral.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                    I doubt the majority of people here do this kind of thing and I doubt even more that you'll get someone stupid enough (except maybe Kandr) to openly admit to this on an open forum where Hector has been rumoured to read.....
                    Who is Hector? :S

Comment

Who is Hector? :S
                      Hector the taxman

The poor soul is retired now, but he still keeps tabs on us........

Comment

Working...
                      X