• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wording for non-payment termination clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wording for non-payment termination clause

Dear forum,

I've been offered a new contract and after many late payments from other agencies, want to get something in the contract to say that if they ever pay me late then the contract's breached and I can walk.

Legal wording is a bit of a mystery to me, so I wondered if anyone here knew of good contract wording to this effect.

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    Dear forum,

I've been offered a new contract and after many late payments from other agencies, want to get something in the contract to say that if they ever pay me late then the contract's breached and I can walk.

Legal wording is a bit of a mystery to me, so I wondered if anyone here knew of good contract wording to this effect.

Not sure why you'd need it really. Aside from the statutory rights you have as a supplier to treat late payment as a commercial debt being overdue (and therefore you can pursue that debt via the usual debt collection means), if you wanted to terminate because of non-payment you can just terminate a contract based on 'frustration'.

If that doesn't help, wording like:

'The supplier reserves the right to suspend or terminate services should payment of outstanding invoices be XX days overdue' where XX is something line 30 days or 60 days. Make sure your invoices clearly state the payment terms (e.g. 30 days in full, discrepencies advised within 7 days, etc) and that your contract has is clear on payment of invoices upon the provision of signed timesheets. Then you're covered.

Comment

Cheers man,

Excellent advice.

Comment

Working...
      X