• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self assessment - what is the difference between UTR and Tax reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self assessment - what is the difference between UTR and Tax reference

I'm have my LTD and filling in my Self assessment. There are 2 fields on the first page. UTR and Tax reference. As far as i know the UTR is 10-digit number that should have been sent to me by HMRC. What is Tax reference then?

Also i haven't received any correspondence from HMRC containing my UTR number. Is it ok to leave it blank if i know my Employer tax reference(the one that i have on payslips as PAYE ref) and also know my NI number?

Please help!

Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
    The Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) will have been issued by HM Revenue & Customs when you or your client registered for Self Assessment. It is made up of ten numbers, for example 1234567890, and can be found on the Tax Return (SA100), a 'Notice to complete a Tax Return' (SA316) or a Statement of Account. It may also be found on other documents we have issued.

Depending on the type of document issued the reference may be printed next to the headings 'Tax Reference', 'UTR' or 'Official Use'.

Suggest you ring them

HMRC Contact us

I believe you need to register for them to send you a login.
    Simples....

Comment

My question was "what's the difference between UTR and Tax reference?" (both fields are on the first page of the self assessment), the second question was whether UTR can be left blank if i know NI and employer Tax ref...

Comment

Your tax reference is your NI number. Your UTR is your unique taxpayer reference. I wouldn't leave either of them off if I was you.
        Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
          Your tax reference is your NI number. Your UTR is your unique taxpayer reference. I wouldn't leave either of them off if I was you.
          Thank you. I thought they meant something extra by Tax reference as there is already NI field on the bottom of the 1st page in Personal details section with a confusing wording "leave blank if the correct
          number is shown above as your ‘Tax Reference' "

Comment

Are you talking about CT payment reference?

This is an annual number that is based on the UTR I believe but also show the type of tax and period for which you are paying.

There was another thread on this a few weeks back.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

UTR is your slave number.

I don't have one.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
              X