• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Billing for Back Dated Billable Client Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billing for Back Dated Billable Client Expenses

I have a significant of billable client expenses which I have never billed my former client for. These date back to 2007 & 2008.

I am facing financial difficulties and having thought about it, I have no choice but to now request payment for these expenses.

Aside from being rather embarrassed that I hadn't claimed them earlier, I was wondering if there was a legal limit on how far back I can claim payment for legitimate client expenses. The moral stand point is that I wouldn't usually pursue given that it is my own fault for not sorting this sooner. However, the client is a large multinational company with signifficant funds where as I am on the verge of financial ruin. The expenses are in the sum of £20k over a 2 year period.

I've spoken to someone in the accounts team at the said company and they have so far said there's nothing they can do. I'm wondering where I stand legally.

Thanks

Originally posted by pwilliamsp80 View Post
    I have a significant of billable client expenses which I have never billed my former client for. These date back to 2007 & 2008.

I am facing financial difficulties and having thought about it, I have no choice but to now request payment for these expenses.

Aside from being rather embarrassed that I hadn't claimed them earlier, I was wondering if there was a legal limit on how far back I can claim payment for legitimate client expenses. The moral stand point is that I wouldn't usually pursue given that it is my own fault for not sorting this sooner. However, the client is a large multinational company with signifficant funds where as I am on the verge of financial ruin. The expenses are in the sum of £20k over a 2 year period.

I've spoken to someone in the accounts team at the said company and they have so far said there's nothing they can do. I'm wondering where I stand legally.

Thanks
    WOW!

Well there are a number of factors to consider here

1) What was in your contract. Were these expenses reclaimable?
    2) What was the process for getting the expenses signed off? Did you need a signature? Where they signed off up front or as part of an overall system?
    3) If you needed sign off, do you have it and if not, who would do this for you? Are they still with the company?

It all depends on 1) really.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd be surprised if they paid anything without a serious fight
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Good Luck but don't rate your chances

Most places have a policy that expenses must be claimed within x (e.g. 30) days.

I've been late claiming before, but only by a few months and if you are still working there then there isn't usually a problem.

May be a loadsa money client but the budget pots that would have covered this would probably have been closed long ago. Most places will chase for any outstanding spend at the end of financial year, and it's difficult to claim back for previous years especially for the sort of sums you are talking.

Comment

I think I'll go out on a limb here.

You will never ever get paid these expenses!
          Even if there is or was a valid legal entitlement to them in the past.

I hope that I am wrong!

Might I just ask a couple of questions.
          If you were entitled to these expenses 3 years ago why didn't you get them then?
          How were they entered in your company accounts for each of the last 3 years?
          Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
          Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by pwilliamsp80 View Post

Thanks
            Two types of hope spring to mind here. Bob Hope and no hope!

Good luck!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Send them an invoice with receipts and a log of how they were incurred. You should also send a copy of your contract with the relevant bits as to why they should pay you highlighted. You have nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                Send them an invoice with receipts and a log of how they were incurred. You should also send a copy of your contract with the relevant bits as to why they should pay you highlighted. You have nothing to lose.
                Even if they were obliged to pay it would go something like this
                Send Invoice with contract
                2 weeks later phone to chase
                2 weeks later phone again and be told, its being looked at
                a month later call again and be told someone will be in touch to discuss
                another 2 weeks.. yeah sorry x is on hols will call back next week
                one more month, we're still checking with manager y about expense z
                etc... etc... etc... until court action is threatened and they decide that coughing up the dosh is the cheapest option
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Even if they were obliged to pay it would go something like this
                  Send Invoice with contract
                  2 weeks later phone to chase
                  2 weeks later phone again and be told, its being looked at
                  a month later call again and be told someone will be in touch to discuss
                  another 2 weeks.. yeah sorry x is on hols will call back next week
                  one more month, we're still checking with manager y about expense z
                  etc... etc... etc... until court action is threatened and they decide that coughing up the dosh is the cheapest option
                  Apart from the fact the OP said £20k. Frankly tough bubbles OP IMHO. But hey ho.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

This made it to the ContractorUK news letter

Contractors' Questions: How to claim old expenses? :: Contractor UK
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X