• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slogger View Post
    missus having a change of tune - yesterday she decided 'sod it - lets spend the cash now - lifes too short'
    so off on a baltic cruise in august - will stay in st petersburg if goes pear shaped ;-)
    good on her!

Comment

I don't think HMRC give a stuff about the extra interest.

I think they would have preferred it if the LJs had, like Parker in the High Court, reached a quick decision.

Maybe it's not going to be such a stroll in the park this time.

Comment

NW

Hi - has anyone got a contact number for NW at MP? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SLB View Post
          Hi - has anyone got a contact number for NW at MP? Thanks.
          I have PM'd you.

Comment

email alert

ive got email alert set to trigger on MP news, check this out:

Isle of Man deposits fall £6.9bn since 2009 - IFAonline

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              ive got email alert set to trigger on MP news, check this out:

Isle of Man deposits fall £6.9bn since 2009 - IFAonline
              The IoM authorities also shot themselves in the foot by sanctioning the unlawful raid of Montp's offices and bending over backwards for HMRC including swearing in officers from the mainland as special constables for the day.

I think they lost sight of what attracted investors to the island because it certainly wasn't the location or the weather. At the end of the day it's just a big lump of rock in the Irish Sea, about 30 miles off the cumbrian coast at Sellafield . As tax havens go, it's hardly glamorous.
              Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 4 June 2011, 10:27.

Comment

Closure notices

Received closure notices for 6 years with MTM. Nearly died when I saw how much money they were asking for.
                The notices were dated 23rd May but didnt arrive until 2nd June. The letter said that I had until 20th June to pay up or on the back said I could appeal. I passed on the notices to MP to appeal

I have now received a threatening letter this morning dated 26th May saying that despite repeated efforts to get me to pay they have now transferred my debt to their summary warrant team to arrange a visit by the Sherriff Officer and that I should pay immediately to avoid this.

I have never until 2nd June received any communication from anyone telling me what I am supposed to owe.

The distress that this has caused my wife and myself is unbelievable.

I phoned them to ask why they had sent this and was told that I would have to wait till Monday before they could answer that. So I have to wait all weekend to see if the Sherriff Officers come chapping.

I think I would rather go to jail than pay these people a penny. They are the scum of the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by ALMAC View Post
                  Received closure notices for 6 years with MTM. Nearly died when I saw how much money they were asking for.
                  The notices were dated 23rd May but didnt arrive until 2nd June. The letter said that I had until 20th June to pay up or on the back said I could appeal. I passed on the notices to MP to appeal

I have now received a threatening letter this morning dated 26th May saying that despite repeated efforts to get me to pay they have now transferred my debt to their summary warrant team to arrange a visit by the Sherriff Officer and that I should pay immediately to avoid this.

I have never until 2nd June received any communication from anyone telling me what I am supposed to owe.

I phoned them to ask why they had sent this and was told that I would have to wait till Monday before they could answer that. So I have to wait all weekend to see if the Sherriff Officers come chapping.

I think I would rather go to jail than pay these people a penny. They are the scum of the earth.
                  Something similar happened to me, and they told me that they were under no obligation to wait until the appeal period was up to seize my property. They're bullies. That said, they're also public sector, and it's unlikely to be as imminent as they make it sound. Get onto MontP first thing Monday, and they will put a stop to it. Also, I wrote to my MP to ask him to intercede if HMRC got heavy-handed and did not give me reasonable time to raise money if I needed to. He agreed. While MPs are not too supportive of our battle publicly, few would flinch from the opportunity to show a bit of power in the opposition to the bully-boy tactics from Hector, provided we are making honest efforts.

Good luck, it's a stressful time, but you're not alone and the fight goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by ALMAC View Post

That threatening letter wouldn't be from the "bloke from Stoke" would it by any chance? If so, loads of us have received the same thing.

It all boils down to different HMRC departments not communicating. Don't worry; Montp have been fantastic at sorting this type of crap out.

Rememeber, HMRC's QC is on record as saying they will not enforce collection until the legal process - including appeals - has run its course... some arsehole in one of the scum's offices obviously isn't aware of this.
                    Last edited by TheBarCapBoyz; 5 June 2011, 12:33.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                      That threatening letter wouldn't be from the "bloke from Stoke" would it by any chance? If so, loads of us have received the same thing.

It all boils down to different HMRC departments not communicating. Don't worry; Montp have been fantastic at sorting this type of crap out.

Rememeber, HMRC's QC is on record as saying they will not enforce collection until the legal process - including appeals - has run its course... some arsehole in one of the scum's offices obviously isn't aware of this.

The CoA appeal is against the JR & CoA. Its nothing to do with appealing the closure notices.

As I understand the situation, HMRC decided unilaterally to abandon taking the 4 test to the Tax tribunal (commissioners). On our behalf Mont P have lodged appeals the closure closure notices but these are on hold whilst the JR & CoA are being heard.

There is nothing to stop us taking cases to Tax Tribunal although the chance of winning is pretty low since S58 was introduced.

But what I think it does mean is that HMRC must win in the Tax Tribunal before they can enforce collection.

Does anyone have a different take on thxis hypothesis.

Comment

Working...
                      X