• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

The donkey has rung me to say he will be offline for a few days due to problems with his internet connection.

Regards

Santa
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

Hi all,

The donkey has rung me to say he will be offline for a few days due to problems with his internet connection.

Regards

Santa
      OH NO!!!! MAN THE GATES, HMRC Will move the death star closer to our rebel base thanks to the Location being given away by Princess Alan
      When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Closure notices.

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
        Presumably you get one for each tax year...?
        Never seen one before. Got 5 years worth all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGuy View Post
          OH NO!!!! MAN THE GATES, HMRC Will move the death star closer to our rebel base thanks to the Location being given away by Princess Alan
          It's ok. Our secret weapon, a.k.a. the donkey has a temporary dial-up.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Quite amusing watching sky news this morning, Mandelson ranting on about Ashcrofts tax status, while half of their own contributors are just the same. Also the caption underneath stated 'Peter Mandelson speaks about Lord Ashcrofts Unpaid Taxes'. The caption then changed very quickly to 'Peter Mandelson speaks about Lord Ashcrofts Avoided Taxes'. I can just hear the indignant calls from Tory Central Office.

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
              Quite amusing watching sky news this morning, Mandelson ranting on about Ashcrofts tax status, while half of their own contributors are just the same. Also the caption underneath stated 'Peter Mandelson speaks about Lord Ashcrofts Unpaid Taxes'. The caption then changed very quickly to 'Peter Mandelson speaks about Lord Ashcrofts Avoided Taxes'. I can just hear the indignant calls from Tory Central Office.
              I think the telling statement comes from the HoL:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8544547.stm

Note the part where they say "The commission said it did not have "retrospective powers" in this case."

Yep, no retrospection.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post

Note the part where they say "The commission said it did not have "retrospective powers" in this case."

Yep, no retrospection.
                Aren't they calling it "retroactive" now and denying it is retrospective

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post

Yep, no retrospection.
                  As ever, The Daily Mash has an interesting take on things:-

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politi...-201003022518/

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
                    As ever, The Daily Mash has an interesting take on things:-

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politi...-201003022518/
                    Indeed, and I think this quote sums up the difference between probability and reality:

Probability
                    Meanwhile Nathan Muir, a Guardian reading Labour voter from Highate, insisted: "If I was a multi-millionaire I would pay all my tax at the full rate because I want to help build a fair and equal society where every child has a chance to be all they can be."

Reality
                    Julian Cook added: "As an economist the only problem I have with that statement is that it's a massive f*****g lie."

Comment

other schemes affected

Does anyone know if other similar schemes are directly affected by the final judgement in this case other than Montpelier? I'm looking at alternatives at the moment and wonder if other similar schemes have made subtle alteration which would protect them from any consequences of this case e.g. Darwin - anyone know anything about this one?

Comment

Working...
                      X