• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

5% interest, courtesy of HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I got a small bit of interest credited to my PAYE account after I "overpaid". Actually I didn't overpay at all, it was the first payment of the year and they attributed it to the wrong tax year.

I think I only get 4.something% from Barclays, so the 5% for CT sounds good. Though I do like having the extra bank balance, even though I know I can't touch the money.
    In the circumstances you describe the taxman will only give you 4% anyway. The rates are difference depending on why. If it is a repayment (i.e. you have overpaid tax) then the rate is lower.

Comment

If you pay the CT early (by bank transfer fro example) be sure to use the correct reference number (it changes every year). Otherwise they will credit the previous years CT account. then realise you've paid too much and send a refund cheque with no interest!

(don't ask how I know this )

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        If you pay the CT early (by bank transfer fro example) be sure to use the correct reference number (it changes every year). Otherwise they will credit the previous years CT account. then realise you've paid too much and send a refund cheque with no interest!

(don't ask how I know this )
        When I did this, they automatically transfered the money into the new CT account and then sent me a transaction statement.

Comment

Working...
        X