• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changes to the law?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morsing View Post
    I've recieved this from my agency, Sanderson,
    Ahh there's your problem, right there...

He's managed to get our IT manager to believe that changes in the law means that I am now required to have insurance. I haven't heard this before, can someone confirm this? Sanderson's legal department is clueless and has been unable to provide me with evidence.

I'm leaving Sanderson now if nothing else because of the annoyance factor.

Thanks
    I left them a while back and haven't looked back. Their legal team did try and "follow up" on me but gave up after a while. So agree that they are Clueless.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

You definitely don't need Employers Liability for a one man band setup.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf

Bottom of Page 3

Does the law apply to me?

You need employers’ liability insurance unless you are
      exempt from the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory
      Insurance) Act. The following employers are exempt:

companies employing only their owner where that
      employee also owns 50% or more of the issued
      share capital in the company.

I'd get PI and PL insurances though to be on the safe side. I know other contractors that didn't bother with the insurances until they were challenged
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
        I knew that, I even got Sanderson to admit that which was an achievement

I'd get PI and PL insurances though to be on the safe side. I know other contractors that didn't bother with the insurances until they were challenged
        Right, I've (obviously) got PL insurance but nothing called "Professional Liabilty insurance". Can't see why my normal PL wouldn't cover me even at work.

PI would be more relevant, still haven't really found if there been changes to tha law as Sanderson says. Hmm...

Comment

You could plug your laptop in at a clients site and then someone come along trip on the power cord, smash their head on the side of a desk and fall onto the pen they were carrying killing them in a final destination style.

I'd be glad of having Public Liability insurance in that instance.

Comment

Originally posted by agam View Post
            You could plug your laptop in at a clients site and then someone come along trip on the power cord, smash their head on the side of a desk and fall onto the pen they were carrying killing them in a final destination style.

Indeed and my PL in my contents insurance should cover that. If I can remember who my insurance company is, I'll call and ask if it covers me at work but I can't see why not.

Comment

Noddy

You seem completely clueless mate

Comment

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf

Bottom of Page 3

Does the law apply to me?

You need employers’ liability insurance unless you are
                exempt from the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory
                Insurance) Act. The following employers are exempt:

companies employing only their owner where that
                employee also owns 50% or more of the issued
                share capital in the company.

If you meet those criteria then you don't but:-

A 50/50 shareholding split with a spouse or similar and that condition is not met. [Edit: Doh, doesn't disqualify I thought it was more than 50%]
                Employing spouse or similar and that conditions is not met (not strictly a one man band of course).

One or other of the above will catch a proportion of contractor companies.

Comment

Indeed and my PL in my contents insurance should cover that. If I can remember who my insurance company is, I'll call and ask if it covers me at work but I can't see why not.
                  The likelihood of it being covered on your household cover is pretty close to nil. Even if it does cover you off your domestic curtilage it is unlikely to cover your company who would almost certainly be co or sole defendants in the resulting case.

Comment

Originally posted by agam View Post

If they weren't actually killed you'd be better off quietly finishing them off - from an insurance standpoint. Much more cost effective and with luck you wouldn't then go over your cover limits.

Comment

There is no law requiring any of those insurances - if there was, they could quote it, and there ain't so they can't.

There isn't even a law saying they need to see your passport.

What there is, as usual, is a set of vague requirements from HMG coupled with draconian penalties for employers caught engaging people with no right to work here. They do this in order to create "problems" which they can use our taxes to "solve"

In consequence jobsworth HR and legal wonks are demanding all sorts of stuff to which they have absolutely no right.

Welcome to New Britain where you are guilty of everything until you prove otherwise, and are assumed to be lying about everything until you furnish jobsworth wonks with daft paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                      X