• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pros and Cons of Company Secretary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pros and Cons of Company Secretary

Am just wondering if it is worth my wife resigning as company secretary in April when the company no longer needs one. As far as I can see the Pro is that she has less responsibility and work making things simpler for us (plus she doesn't need to be answerable to HMRC). The Con is that I can no longer pay her for performing this role. Thoughts? What are you lot going to do?

You can still pay her whether she is the company secretary or not. As long as she does work commensurate with the reward of course (for the benefit of the HMRC lurkers).

Comment

and visa versa. my wife is the CoSec, but is unpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
        You can still pay her whether she is the company secretary or not. As long as she does work commensurate with the reward of course (for the benefit of the HMRC lurkers).
        Absolutely, she is paid for book keeping as well. Just means her salary will be less if she has less work to do. But yes, it won't make much difference. Am struggling to find a good reason for her top stay on as co. sec.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          Absolutely, she is paid for book keeping as well. Just means her salary will be less if she has less work to do. But yes, it won't make much difference. Am struggling to find a good reason for her top stay on as co. sec.
          So you have someone to sign contracts on behalf of the Company and respond to Companies House queries?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            So you have someone to sign contracts on behalf of the Company and respond to Companies House queries?
            Yes, me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              Yes, me.
              But you are presumably at pains not to get your name into any contracts for work to avoid one of the more obvious IR35 traps. Not signing the contract personally is a good start, isn't it...?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It will take a while for the "one person" concept to filter through to banks, clients, etc. Whilst you may "legally" only need one person, what happens if the bank's mandate or your client contract requires two signatures - do you really want a legal argument about who's right - would it not be simpler to keep the co-sec for a while until the change filters through to everyone else and in the meantime you can both continue to jointly sign official paperwork without the hassle of playgrounds arguments as to who is right which are inevitable for such a major change after such a long time of 2 people being needed. Life's too short. Keep the co sec for a few months - what's the harm?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  But you are presumably at pains not to get your name into any contracts for work to avoid one of the more obvious IR35 traps. Not signing the contract personally is a good start, isn't it...?
                  Oh please. I have yet to hear anyone say that is even remotely an IR35 issue! I sign as company director as I suspect do 99% of contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by WHA View Post
                    It will take a while for the "one person" concept to filter through to banks, clients, etc. Whilst you may "legally" only need one person, what happens if the bank's mandate or your client contract requires two signatures - do you really want a legal argument about who's right - would it not be simpler to keep the co-sec for a while until the change filters through to everyone else and in the meantime you can both continue to jointly sign official paperwork without the hassle of playgrounds arguments as to who is right which are inevitable for such a major change after such a long time of 2 people being needed. Life's too short. Keep the co sec for a few months - what's the harm?
                    Sounds like a good plan to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X