• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pros and Cons of Company Secretary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    Oh please. I have yet to hear anyone say that is even remotely an IR35 issue! I sign as company director as I suspect do 99% of contractors.
    Nope, company secretary signs all of mine. Can't be IR35 if I'm not on the contract at all IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      Nope, company secretary signs all of mine. Can't be IR35 if I'm not on the contract at all IMHO
      WHS.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Interesting. Anyone else agree with that? I might forward a copy of this thread to Bauer & Cottrell, to get another view on it.

My thinking is that it would be seen by HMRC as purely another element of a "sham" Ltd Co model contract, particularly if the Co Sec is family, rather than actually seen as a valid reason why the contract is outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by super View Post
          Interesting. Anyone else agree with that? I might forward a copy of this thread to Bauer & Cottrell, to get another view on it.

My thinking is that it would be seen by HMRC as purely another element of a "sham" Ltd Co model contract, particularly if the Co Sec is family, rather than actually seen as a valid reason why the contract is outside IR35.
          Please could you post any feedback you receive from B&C on the thread as it would be helpful/interesting to hear what they have to say on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by super View Post

The logic is that if your name appears nowhere on the contract it will be a lot harder to prove the personal service element of IR35. You still need someone to sign on behalf of the company though, who has to be an office of the company: hence director or CoSec.

Like all IR35 elements it is not definitive, but as we keep on saying, every little helps.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              The logic is that if your name appears nowhere on the contract it will be a lot harder to prove the personal service element of IR35. You still need someone to sign on behalf of the company though, who has to be an office of the company: hence director or CoSec.

Like all IR35 elements it is not definitive, but as we keep on saying, every little helps.
              General view from B&C is that largely this will not help an IR35 argument.

Comment

Working...
              X