• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chartered vs common or garden accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chartered vs common or garden accountants

Hi

I'm just starting to look for an accountant (BTW - recommendations in the Stoke-on-Trent or North West areas still gratefully received) and have a question...

Should I go for a chartered certified accountant, or is it worth considering non-chartered accountants? What difference will it make to the service and/or cost?

I notice one of the requirements for the PCG Quality Accountant scheme is that they must be chartered, which makes me think it is a sign they generally practice higher standards. My family has had a terrible experience of solicitors - most of them downright incompetent - so my number 1 priority is finding someone I have confidence in, even if it costs a bit more.

Thanks
    Ashley

PS - Recommendations in the Stoke-on-Trent or North West areas still being accepted. Did I say that already?

Originally posted by ashleymoran View Post
    Hi

I'm just starting to look for an accountant (BTW - recommendations in the Stoke-on-Trent or North West areas still gratefully received) and have a question...

Should I go for a chartered certified accountant, or is it worth considering non-chartered accountants? What difference will it make to the service and/or cost?

I notice one of the requirements for the PCG Quality Accountant scheme is that they must be chartered, which makes me think it is a sign they generally practice higher standards. My family has had a terrible experience of solicitors - most of them downright incompetent - so my number 1 priority is finding someone I have confidence in, even if it costs a bit more.

Thanks
    Ashley

PS - Recommendations in the Stoke-on-Trent or North West areas still being accepted. Did I say that already?
    You don't necessarily need an accountant that's local to you. Mine are 100s of miles away and all communication goes by post/email/phone. Ones that are recommended on here are Nixon Williams, SJD and a few others purple accountants/1st accountancy or something. Anyhow they get good ratings by most and they know all the contractor issues which is an important thing. Do a few searches here on accountants are read people's recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      You don't necessarily need an accountant that's local to you. Mine are 100s of miles away and all communication goes by post/email/phone. Ones that are recommended on here are Nixon Williams, SJD and a few others purple accountants/1st accountancy or something. Anyhow they get good ratings by most and they know all the contractor issues which is an important thing. Do a few searches here on accountants are read people's recommendations.
      Ok, that seems reasonable, but I still wouldn't hire one I never met. Did you visit yours before you took them on? What made you choose them?

Comment

Ok, that seems reasonable, but I still wouldn't hire one I never met. Did you visit yours before you took them on? What made you choose them?
        I have used solicitors and now an accountant I've never met in person. I got personal recommendations through friends' who to use.

People can be crooked whether you meet them or not. In fact I find professionals who refuse to put things down in writing (letters or email) with their name to it sneaky.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ok, I've changed my mind about getting someone local (that doesn't mean I won't, but I won't consider it necessarily an advantage). Either of you two care to recommend your accountant?

Still have to decide though - and this was more on my mind - should I restrict my search to ACCA accountants?

Comment

I use Darren at www.uptonaccountants.com. He is around on this board at times. Never met him but have spoken on the telephone. He knows how contracting works and I have been with his firm for over a year now without any problems. He is based in Wakefield.

He may pop up now.

Comment

Originally posted by castoff101 View Post
              I use Darren at www.uptonaccountants.com. He is around on this board at times. Never met him but have spoken on the telephone. He knows how contracting works and I have been with his firm for over a year now without any problems. He is based in Wakefield.

He may pop up now.
              I concur. I used to be with SJD but found them too expensive and, from what I hear from others who are still with them, their service level is dropping through the floor.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I'll bear Upton in mind. They look like a big company. Anyone got any opinions on whether it's better to go with a large or small firm?

Also, I'm still wondering about my original question, which is whether an accountant being chartered is an indication that they are more competent and efficient? I have noticed in other fields that qualifications are not always an indicator that someone can do their job, but I know next to nothing about accountancy.

Comment

I'll bear Upton in mind. They look like a big company. Anyone got any opinions on whether it's better to go with a large or small firm?

Also, I'm still wondering about my original question, which is whether an accountant being chartered is an indication that they are more competent and efficient? I have noticed in other fields that qualifications are not always an indicator that someone can do their job, but I know next to nothing about accountancy.
                  Charterered usualy means they are better qualified and more expert, it doesn't necessarily mean they are better at the peculiarities of Contractors' requirements. A better kite mark for that is the PCG's QA scheme, which means they've done in depth training on the subject - take a look at the list on their website http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...363&Itemid=487
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Charterered usualy means they are better qualified and more expert, it doesn't necessarily mean they are better at the peculiarities of Contractors' requirements. A better kite mark for that is the PCG's QA scheme, which means they've done in depth training on the subject - take a look at the list on their website http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...363&Itemid=487
                    Well, all PCG Quality Accountants are chartered anyway, it's a requirement of the scheme. So I guess that's the best of both worlds...

Comment

Working...
                    X