• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming carers allowance when IT Contractor and unable to work.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming carers allowance when IT Contractor and unable to work.

NOTE: I posted this originally in the general forum but it was pointed out this would be a better forum for the question.

Hi, I'm writing this as I can't find any info on the subject elsewhere using google.

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 6 months ago and my father died around the same time. Being the only child I've been sorting out all my fathers estate and also having to look after my mother. I've basically been living at her place near enough full time, sorting everything out, making sure she is ok, cooking ..... you get the drift.

I had to give up a contract when this all started and haven't been doing any work since and for the foreseeable future I can't see me picking up any work. I've now more or less sorted my mother's finances out (Attendance Allowance, pension, savings ...) but not done anything about my own. I've been paying myself a PAYE or around £750 a month and taken one dividend payment. This has tidied me over.

I've just been looking in to carers allowance as everyone was telling me I should be looking to get it as I'm spending over 35hrs a week looking after my mother. It looks like if you earn over £132 a week then you are not entitled. This is a bit of a pain obviously because of my PAYE payment. I'm basically gradually reducing any money in my company, paying an accountant and so on but that can't last forever.

Should I consider stopping the PAYE payments so I can get carers allowance or are there issues with this. Not sure about the situation with dividends. Ideally I don't want to shut the company down as the my situation might change and I might be available in future to do some reduced hrs work (maybe!!!).

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    When a man says his word is as good as his bond take his bond.

try Citizens advice.
    Sorry that's all I've got.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

In any case, if for some reason you cannot claim carers allowance, you can claim carers credit. This credits your NIC account towards state pension entitlement.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        In any case, if for some reason you cannot claim carers allowance, you can claim carers credit. This credits your NIC account towards state pension entitlement.
        I already have the full entitlement so I'm not sure that really helps me much. I'll phone the DWP next week and see what they have to say on the subject. I expect based on previous dealings with them that if you are self employed and a director than there won't be much if anything in the form of help.

Comment

It would appear that you are allowed to pay yourself around £6800 a year if you are self employed. I filled the online forms in and had to also post off my last published accounts. I await a decision.

Comment

Working...
          X