• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Contract for 7 Years - sanity check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Contract for 7 Years - sanity check

After 7 years on the dark side (actually, surprisingly enjoyable), I may be jumping back into contracting again due to redundancy. I've never worked under the IR35 regime where the client does the determination, so I'm just asking for a sanity check here.

Agent tells me the role is outside IR35
    I ask for a Status Determination
    He then says the client is exempt due to its size (so first statement wasn't true - surprise!)
    1. How can I verify if the client is exempt?
    2. If they are exempt, I believe that IR35 status is then my call (i.e. as it was when I used to freelance) Is that correct?
    3. Irrespective of status, if I choose to go PAYE via an Umbrella, there is no risk from an IR35 perspective?
    The umbrella route is tempting as I'm not sure how long I'll contract for and it seems to be less hassle, even though I appreciate that will come at a reduction in money in my pocket.

Thanks in Advance for any replies
    Last edited by fidot; 3 March 2023, 15:35.

1. You cannot really verify the client is exempt, beyond looking for public information in relation to the Companies Act 2006 definitions.
    2. Yes, Chapter 8 applies.
    3. Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
      After 7 years on the dark side (actually, surprisingly enjoyable), I may be jumping back into contracting again due to redundancy. I've never worked under the IR35 regime where the client does the determination, so I'm just asking for a sanity check here.
      Agent tells me the role is outside IR35
      Don't believe them
      I ask for a Status Determination
      Even if you do they aren't obligated to give you one until just before first payment at which point we are seeing client reversing the determination.
      He then says the client is exempt due to its size (so first statement wasn't true - surprise!)
      1. How can I verify if the client is exempt?
      1. Ask the agent. They should have done some diligence and the client most certainly should have. Ask to see that.
      2. If they are exempt, I believe that IR35 status is then my call (i.e. as it was when I used to freelance) Is that correct?
      Correct with a big 'but' at the end.
    • Irrespective of status, if I choose to go PAYE via an Umbrella, there is no risk from an IR35 perspective?
    Correct
    The umbrella route is tempting as I'm not sure how long I'll contract for and it seems to be less hassle, even though I appreciate that will come at a reduction in money in my pocket.
    As unappealing as umbrellas are they do serve a purpose and worth considering in some circumstances. For a dip back in to test the water they aren't the worst option.

So you say you are in charge of the determination which is true and you'll determine yourself outside like every contractor did ever. The problem you have now is, and this is in my opinion, nearly all the clients that are exempt from the criteria are the most IR35 unsafe roles out there. Like the bottom of the barrel so are the ones you should really be the most careful with. Small startups particularly, are just not set up to give one person a single task and leave them to it. They often need a flexible resource to come on the journey with them and takle whatever comes along. That's pure D&C. You get a set SOW that you expect you will stick to like glue where absolutely everyone else is wearing three hats. No chance.
    So yes you make the determination but you are a pool of clients that are more likely than any others to fail the tests. Remember it's not the contract it's the working practices. Jury is out on small exempt companies but I wouldn't get much sleep working in an areas that is expempt (for now!!!) with a shakey IR35 status. We appear to disagree on whether this lot is the next target or it's too small for HMRC to come after but if HMRC have a black hole to fill anything could be game.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think I broke the thread

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
        How can I verify if the client is exempt?
        "If you’re a small-sized client in the private sector you’ll not have to decide the employment status of your workers. This will remain the responsibility of the worker’s intermediary (usually a limited company). However, you must confirm your size if asked by the person or organisation you contract with, or the worker. This is to make sure that you, agencies and workers can consider what rules apply."
        April 2021 changes to off-payroll working for clients - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

"If you’re a small-sized client in the private sector you’ll not have to decide the employment status of your workers. This will remain the responsibility of the worker’s intermediary (usually a limited company). However, you must confirm your size if asked by the person or organisation you contract with, or the worker. This is to make sure that you, agencies and workers can consider what rules apply."
          April 2021 changes to off-payroll working for clients - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
          Indeed, but the OP was asking how they could verify the supplied information. The information has already been supplied as I understood the OP, although that is secondhand from an agent, so the starting assumption would be that it's completely made up.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Indeed, but the OP was asking how they could verify the supplied information. The information has already been supplied as I understood the OP, although that is secondhand from an agent, so the starting assumption would be that it's completely made up.
            Where this is true you'd think in this situation the client has done the diligence to find out what their legal obligations are here. I can get why agents would lie about an outside role but I can't see how any one wins lying about whether the client is exempt or not. Actually quite the opposite. If they've said that and the client isn't and gets a dirty great fine the agent can be held liable to cover the fine. One things agents are good at is covering their arses when when it comes to financial risk.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Where this is true you'd think in this situation the client has done the diligence to find out what their legal obligations are here. I can get why agents would lie about an outside role but I can't see how any one wins lying about whether the client is exempt or not. Actually quite the opposite. If they've said that and the client isn't and gets a dirty great fine the agent can be held liable to cover the fine. One things agents are good at is covering their arses when when it comes to financial risk.
              It isn't necessarily deceitful, but agents make mistakes all the time. Anyway, regarding what the OP can do, they can ask the client and check whatever public information is available but, at that point, it's Chapter 8 and due diligence, ideally with a confirmation of arrangements from the small client.

Comment

Copy the requirements for a company to be expemt in to a mail and send to the agents asking them to confirm their client meets all the criteria. If they reply confirming it is you'll have enought go ahead IMO.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I did try to "Thank" and "Like" individual posts, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Comment

• Reply to Thread

Working...
                    X