• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Director and/or employee and others

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Director and/or employee and others

Hi

I have just started a limited company with myself as a director and my wife as company secretary.

I will also be working as an employee for the company. Do I have to give director ME a salary and employee ME a salary?.

Is it legal to rent a house at my work location and declare it as a (temporary) branch office?.

Are there any limitation on the % of profit that can be declared as dividend?. Should there be any minimum reserve/surplus be in the company's bank account?.

what happens to the surplus if the company is wound up?.

Should there be any separate PAYE for the director ME and employee ME?.

What reimbursements are applicable to the directors?.

Finally, is it possible to work for myself without a limited company and without the help of umbrella companies or sole company?. does agencies engage and award contract to individuals without a company name?.

I know its too much of questions...but i guess they are all valid questions.

Cheers

Ask an acountant.

If you don't have one - get one quickly. Try SJD Accountancy.

Comment

Don't be an employee!

If it's not too late, don't give yourself an employment contract or a directors service contract !!

If you do, then you'll be subject to the minimum wage regulations and employers liability insurance will be compulsory. You don't need these contracts.

DO make your wife a director as well. This was one of the key factors in Arctic Systems losing their s660A case. But again, don't give her a service contract.

There are no rules about how much you can pay as dividends, and you can pay interim divis through the year, but you do need to do it properly: if unsure how to do this, then get an accountant to advise you.

Do keep enough cash in the company's bank accounts to cover expected tax bills. Beyond this, it's up to you, but interest rates tend to be higher in personal savings accounts than in business accounts !

Hope that helps !

- Steve

Comment

Trading

And in my experience few if any agencies will accept you as sole trader, way too risky for them and client. Get a ltd co sorted and an accountant.

Comment

Working...
        X