• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing multiple laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    as many devices as you need for business purposes. As often as you need/want to buy them.

Just make sure that if your company buys a personal one from you that it is for a fair market value.
    and your accountant has answered the question correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    as many devices as you need for business purposes. As often as you need/want to buy them.

Just make sure that if your company buys a personal one from you that it is for a fair market value.

Leave a comment:

• PK2
    started a topic Expensing multiple laptops

Expensing multiple laptops

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere already, but I can't seem to find the answer to this particular question.

I'm working on a new IT contract outside IR35
    They've asked me to provide my own computer equipment so I've converted my personal laptop into a work one.

My question is how often can I claim laptops as an expense? Is it once per company year?
    • I bought laptop A some time ago (the personal one I just converted) have already claimed it as an expense for the past company accounting year.
    • I now decide to get a better machine for work this company year, laptop B and also would like to expense it.
    • Laptop A now becomes my personal machine again
    Do I lose part of my original claim on laptop A according to some deprecation of goods rule (eg. transfer 50% of the expensed money back to the company)?
    Or how do I go about this? Surely I can't be expected to keep the same laptop for ever.

My accountant has being as useful as emailing back the 'if it's used wholly for business purposes...you can expense it', not answering the question.
    Last edited by PK2; 26 April 2022, 12:10.

Working...
X