• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Totally Dissatisfied with my Accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally Dissatisfied with my Accountant

I posted earlier in the Contract Accountants Are They Worth It? thread....

Originally posted by Roll Out The Farrell View Post
    Glad I saw this thread as I was about to start a similar one.

I've been using one of the main "contract" accountancy firms since 2010 & they've gone way down hill, to be sure.

They had some kind of restructuring a couple of years back and I lost my regular guy who was actually very good. Now response times are awful and they leave everything to the last minute and even got my last VAT return wrong. My assigned "accountant" also couldn't give me any advice on capital gains as it was out of his remit.

What's the point in paying £120 pcm for that kind of service? I may as well just use a local outfit and get them to bill me by the hour.
    Well, the last straw event has just occurred. They've missed the filing deadline of 1 Jan despite my having approved the accounts mid December (and they had all the info to do my draft accounts months ago). They said their software didn't pull some of the figures through properly and they would have to be reapproved and resubmitted and not to worry they'd be in touch before the holidays. Then radio silence until today despite a number of efforts to chase them up. They have reassured me that they extended the filing deadline and that there would be no problems but surely this is the kind of think that raises my head over the parapet?

This, on top of everything else, is it for me. What happened to this company (one of the main providers)? And here's a clue, name begins with an N and a W.

Ah ha. The companies in that group quite often get bad press here.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Did they say they will only do your accounts in this period or did you just leave it to the last minute? Something is likely to go wrong giving them only 5 working days, just before xmas, with covid going through the roof.

Either way. Time to go.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 4 January 2022, 18:14.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Dead simple. Take control and move away from these cowboys immediately. They would close if everyone did so. FWIW, if I needed an accountant these days (I don't) I think my first call would be to Maslins since they frequently make sense here when they post.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Did they say they will only do your accounts in this period or did you just leave it to the last minute? Something is likely to go wrong giving them only 5 working days, just before xmas, with covid going through the roof.

Either way. Time to go.
          No, they've had all they needed since November

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Dead simple. Take control and move away from these cowboys immediately. They would close if everyone did so. FWIW, if I needed an accountant these days (I don't) I think my first call would be to Maslins since they frequently make sense here when they post.
            Duly noted. Thanks.

Comment

My Accountants, Gorilla Accounting, are always on the ball for me. They have good TrustPilot rating as well so give them a call I would say if you are dissatisfied with your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by JHamp82 View Post
                My Accountants, Gorilla Accounting, are always on the ball for me. They have good TrustPilot rating as well so give them a call I would say if you are dissatisfied with your accountant.
                How much do you pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Roll Out The Farrell View Post

How much do you pay?
                  Looking at his posting history on here, I wouldn't be surprised if they paid him.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

+1 for Gorilla Accounting. Recommended by a lad here. Lauren has been absolutely top notch. Everything is on FreeAgent too, so you can chop and change in the future more easily if things do go downhill.

I was DIY accounts for a bit after a poor accountant experience.

A good accountant pays for itself many times over.

A bad accountant does not.

Comment

Working...
                    X