• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

shares and bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shares and bankruptcy

Having recently setup my limited company I now have to deal with the share side of things.

As I understand the paperwork, I now have 1 share in the Ltd company, but need to allocate more (do I?). What is the roundabout right number? 100, 1000?

Also, my partner currently has an ongoing dipute with an ex-landlord for unpaid rent. He claims more than is owed and doesn't acutally know where she lives (he's sending letters to her parents). He claims he's push for bankkrupcy of her.

Sorry to burden you all with that information, but it leads to the question...if she held shares in the Ltd Co, could they be assets in a bankrupcy claim?

There is 2 questions in there!!

IANAL but I'd say the share would count as an asset.

He is unlikely to make someone bankrupt on the basis of back rent unless she was living in a palace. She probably has liquid assets which would cover any debt declared.

You do not have to issue more shares.

My recommendation would be to discuss this with your accountant if you are worried about it.

Comment

Sounds like the landlord is making threats he cannot carry out.

Tell 'em to @#%$ off.

Comment

NAA but you could pay a divi of 50p on one share or £5 million. Only reason for issuing more would be if you want to pay dividends to someone not currently getting them or pay different amounts to each shareholder as divi must be proportional to shares held. (Assuming they are same class of share that is.)

Comment

Working...
        X