• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NDA - California Law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NDA - California Law

Been asked to sign an NDA - we have no contractual relationship (yet). This is for a US company that operates in the UK. It says that the agreement is under California State and US Federal law. Obviously I don't intend to break it - but I am slightly worried that in the event of any dispute I'd end up having to pay some Saul Goodman alike in California? Considering asking for a version for UK law but not sure if I am overthinking it.

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Been asked to sign an NDA - we have no contractual relationship (yet). This is for a US company that operates in the UK. It says that the agreement is under California State and US Federal law. Obviously I don't intend to break it - but I am slightly worried that in the event of any dispute I'd end up having to pay some Saul Goodman alike in California? Considering asking for a version for UK law but not sure if I am overthinking it.
    Is it you or your Ltd company that being asked to sign it, as that's who is owning the risk of being chansed by Lionel Hutz. Obviously safer if its your Ltd company.

Probably overthinking it though - so long as you comply - but you could get a lawyer to review it if it makes you feel safer.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 3 November 2021, 08:43.

Comment

Be very careful, you may find your professional indemnity insurance doesn't cover issues beyond the UK jurisdiction. It would be normal for US claims against the Ltd Co to not be covered by a UK insurance policy. It may be either very difficult or very expensive (or both) to obtain PII to cover US liabilities. Myself, I wouldn't do work under US jurisdiction without good PII cover.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Be very careful, you may find your professional indemnity insurance doesn't cover issues beyond the UK jurisdiction. It would be normal for US claims against the Ltd Co to not be covered by a UK insurance policy. It may be either very difficult or very expensive (or both) to obtain PII to cover US liabilities. Myself, I wouldn't do work under US jurisdiction without good PII cover.
        or use a new LTD with no assets in and remove all money ASAP. Limited liability does have some benefits.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

or use a new LTD with no assets in and remove all money ASAP. Limited liability does have some benefits.
          That may be the case, but I am absolutely not sure a director has full immunity from charges in US courts. (Completely different, I know, but ex-executives of failed US biotech firm Theranos are on trial personally in California at the moment).
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
          X