• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leeway with 'wholly and exclusively for business use' regarding furniture?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might be useful if you're considering something at the end of the garden

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...n-offices.html

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Nope I think you would get away with claiming the tax on branded polo shirts see

How To Claim Clothing As A Business Expense | One accounting

I know it's a deductible cost for the conferences I used to help organise..

You would also look like a junior employee while wearing it so I wouldn't recommend it.
      Just ordered a face mask branded with my company name and logo to wear to a job expo next week; it's coming out of my company funds so I guess I'll not be able to wear it unless on company business

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post

Just ordered a face mask branded with my company name and logo to wear to a job expo next week; it's coming out of my company funds so I guess I'll not be able to wear it unless on company business
        Health and Safety equipment (which a mask would be) are fully tax deductible.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It might be interesting to see how tax rules change as Covid and modern internet blur the lines between office/home for the masses. Though you'd probably expect that to take some time if it happens.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It might be interesting to see how tax rules change as Covid and modern internet blur the lines between office/home for the masses. Though you'd probably expect that to take some time if it happens.
            Why? There has always been a set of workers (field agents / engineers) whose main base was from home...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              For the most part they already do - for instance, an employer can pay for an employee to kit out their room as a home office and for the most part it would be tax deductible and not incur a BIK as the rules already cover most things - computers, office equipment and furniture etc. Even a separate broadband line in the employer's name can be installed tax-free if the employer is willing.

Whilst I'm sure business is booming for garden office building companies right now, I don't see the government being in a rush to make the installation of these or similar things tax deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

For the most part they already do - for instance, an employer can pay for an employee to kit out their room as a home office and for the most part it would be tax deductible and not incur a BIK as the rules already cover most things - computers, office equipment and furniture etc. Even a separate broadband line in the employer's name can be installed tax-free if the employer is willing.

Whilst I'm sure business is booming for garden office building companies right now, I don't see the government being in a rush to make the installation of these or similar things tax deductible.
                Interesting. I know for a fact that a near neighbour charged his new "garden office" to his business. Something Hector would be looking out for now, one might imagine.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Interesting. I know for a fact that a near neighbour charged his new "garden office" to his business. Something Hector would be looking out for now, one might imagine.
                  You mean his business paid for his garden office? So long as his accountant is happy with it (they shouldn't be, but some might just let it go), its unlikely he'll ever be found out, unless he's audited by HMRC. But if you want to stir things up, ask him what his business is going to do with the garden office if he sells his house.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Why? There has always been a set of workers (field agents / engineers) whose main base was from home...
                    Not sure how that's significant. Tax rules are rarely written based on a tiny minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

You mean his business paid for his garden office? So long as his accountant is happy with it (they shouldn't be, but some might just let it go), its unlikely he'll ever be found out, unless he's audited by HMRC. But if you want to stir things up, ask him what his business is going to do with the garden office if he sells his house.
                      If it has time to depreciate, does it stop being an issue?

Comment

Working...
                      X