• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FSCA chair is complaining about being bullied

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSCA chair is complaining about being bullied

As this appeared on my linkedIn feed it seems worth sharing with a suitable audience https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...48727736528897

I can see his point (to a limited extent) but perhaps if they publicized naughty members as they threw them out and didn’t quietly readmit them they might not look like the old boys club they are.
    Last edited by eek; 11 April 2021, 19:18.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

We've been knocking FCSA as an organisation, not Phil Pluck as a person, so bullying isn't really appropriate. However, as someone said in the comments, unless FCSA highlights who they have taken action against and until they use some of their income to set up and operate a rolling audit programme which properly compared the various sums of money washing around the supply chain and until they set up a standard payment process so there is proper comparative and honest documentation in place, Mr Pluck is not getting my vote or my sympathy.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

FCSA is working tirelessly to drive out non-compliance from our industry.
      Wouldn't driving out non-compliance from their own members be a better first step?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        We've been knocking FCSA as an organisation, not Phil Pluck as a person, so bullying isn't really appropriate. However, as someone said in the comments, unless FCSA highlights who they have taken action against and until they use some of their income to set up and operate a rolling audit programme which properly compared the various sums of money washing around the supply chain and until they set up a standard payment process so there is proper comparative and honest documentation in place, Mr Pluck is not getting my vote or my sympathy.
        It appears that the FCSA isn't happy with criticism, actually.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Wouldn't driving out non-compliance from their own members be a better first step?
          Non-compliance with what? If you mean their own rules, which members are not compliant and why not list them here?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Non-compliance with what? If you mean their own rules, which members are not compliant and why not list them here?
            Because supposedly they can’t.

Luckily the way back achieve has a June 4th snapshot and that makes interesting reading for the complete lack of changes

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Because supposedly they can’t.
              I wasn't meaning FCSA, I was meaning NLUK. If some FCSA members are non-compliant (although it's not clear to what compliance he is measuring them against), then why not list them here so others can see those and avoid?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I wasn't meaning FCSA, I was meaning NLUK. If some FCSA members are non-compliant (although it's not clear to what compliance he is measuring them against), then why not list them here so others can see those and avoid?
                The only way you would completely know if an umbrella firm is non complaint would be to fully understand the FSCA rules and have the misfortune to only be allowed to work through an non compliant umbrella and then actual be caught out by the dodgy dealings.

that is going to be very hard to do but I will highlight one thing I am questioning

Mr Puck claims to have expelled multiple members since his arrival in June / July 2020.

yet when I look at the wayback archive for June 4th 2020 only 2 companies are listed there that are not listed today - one of those (liberty bishop) is now part of another member (jsa) so it’s hard to confirm the single statement in his response

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The only way you would completely know if an umbrella firm is non complaint would be to fully understand the FSCA rules and have the misfortune to only be allowed to work through an non compliant umbrella and then actual be caught out by the dodgy dealings.

that is going to be very hard to do but I will highlight one thing I am questioning

Mr Puck claims to have expelled multiple members since his arrival in June / July 2020.

yet when I look at the wayback archive for June 4th 2020 only 2 companies are listed there that are not listed today - one of those (liberty bishop) is now part of another member (jsa) so it’s hard to confirm the single statement in his response
                  He's running a cash cow enterprise in a non-regulated industry. And you expect honest and fair trading?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

He's running a cash cow enterprise in a non-regulated industry. And you expect honest and fair trading?
                    Nope - I’m just enjoying the fact they are writing my marketing and sales pitches for me

You have to remember I’ve spent 6 months now working out how to introduce transparency into this world when most umbrella firms love the fact they are opaque and their customers (who aren’t contractors but are the umbrellas themselves and then the agencies who tell contractors which firms you can use) love the fact they are usually paid for every referral.

open banking and the fact I have a very good relationship with my MP means that things may need to be more open in future
                    Last edited by eek; 12 April 2021, 08:34.

Comment

Working...
                    X