• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing my laptop is benefit in kind...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I was taking the OP and his context in to account where he wanted to expense a laptop where he could outside, he can't inside. My comment was directly related to his question and situation, not to pull apart the entire expenses legislation.

I've altered my original comment to add a little more clarity.
    And as you would note from my first reply while the way Parasol was offering hardware / laptops was dubious if you actually looked at the IR35 rules in detail, even today (post April 6th 2021) it is allowable for the cost of project materials to be claimed from pre tax income. And Parasol were (at least up to last week) happy to call a laptop a project expense - to use money from an invoice to purchase it for you and then sell it to you at the end of the project.

the only thing Parasol was doing was pushing the definition of project materials beyond a point other umbrellas (not just clarity) were happy with but that is the nature of a lot of umbrella companies as they have a different viewpoint of what is right and wrong than other people may have given that a number started out when IR35 first appeared.
    Last edited by eek; 9 April 2021, 15:37.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Off-topic posts removed.
      you missed one https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...ml#post2874450

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

More of simes' posts removed. simes - you posted on this thread solely to make a snarky comment concerning NLUK. Trolling in the professional forum is not permitted. Don't do it again.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Surely, for an inside gig, the client provides equipment, so the question is moot.

Comment

Anything you need for your job that isn't provided by the employer can be offset against tax.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...ther-equipment

HMRC doesn't discriminate between employees and the self-employed. The fact is that mostly equipment is provided by the employer, however an inside IR35 contract isn't really an employment contract.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 May 2021, 13:26.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
              Surely, for an inside gig, the client provides equipment, so the question is moot.
              How come we are over a two years since all this started and over a month since the legislation came in to force and people still say stuff like this?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

How come we are over a two years since all this started and over a month since the legislation came in to force and people still say stuff like this?
                It's also not true - I'm aware of whole heaps of mechanics who have their own toolkit either because their employer doesn't provide one or because what their employer provides is the wrong brand...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's also not true - I'm aware of whole heaps of mechanics who have their own toolkit either because their employer doesn't provide one or because what their employer provides is the wrong brand...
                  in the building trade it is expected that the workers provide all their own tools. Even permies...
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yep, my brother was an aerospace engineer - he had Snap-On kit because he said that his employer supplied monkey-metal tools.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I am on on inside gig and the client is not providing any laptops anymore - all access is now via your own equipment and VDI (Virtual Display via Citrix). My own laptop is quite old but more than adequate for my personal needs - however really struggling with the client's VDI set up requirements so I am going to have to upgrade for the sake of this job. In this instance its a Business cost directly related to the project. If I wasn't doing this gig I wouldn't have need to upgrade my laptop.
                      I am also with Parasol - as far as I understand it - the 15% which you previously would have paid at the end of the contract to keep the hardware is the amount that is the benefit in kind. However the 85% they pay you when you submit the receipt for the laptop comes out of your invoice value and is still free of income tax and NI.
                      It seems all to complicated so I am just not going to bother with claiming and pay for it myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X