• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Still waiting for SDS, out of contract today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still waiting for SDS, out of contract today

Hi, new here but I have been following discussion obviously for a while.

I've been with this client and agent for 4.5 years, filled out an assessment last year, heard nothing, obviously that went away. Same this year, still nothing, a serious accountancy firm is involved in the assessments but it's still a mess. Had some rubbish from my agent who has clearly been kept in the dark as well.

I've got no idea whether I should 'turn up' on Monday. My contract ran out today. Backdating contracts isn't unusual but given the date I'm pretty reluctant to do any more work if I don't even know how I'm going to get paid.

Anyone else in a similar position?

Not sure what advice I'm looking for other than a vent. Feeling like quitting out of principle

Originally posted by lambo7 View Post
    Hi, new here but I have been following discussion obviously for a while.

I've been with this client and agent for 4.5 years, filled out an assessment last year, heard nothing, obviously that went away. Same this year, still nothing, a serious accountancy firm is involved in the assessments but it's still a mess. Had some rubbish from my agent who has clearly been kept in the dark as well.

I've got no idea whether I should 'turn up' on Monday. My contract ran out today. Backdating contracts isn't unusual but given the date I'm pretty reluctant to do any more work if I don't even know how I'm going to get paid.

Anyone else in a similar position?

Not sure what advice I'm looking for other than a vent. Feeling like quitting out of principle
    It's probably a bit late now, but did you talk to the project tech leads / project managers you have been working with?
    Are they aware your contract ended yesterday? If they know, and you've made it clear to them that you won't work without a contract, don't show up. If they have no idea, while partly their fault (resource management and all that), it's still within your best interest to follow these things up. So email them on Monday (from your company's/personal email address) and say you can't work without a signed contract due to your business insurance limitations.

That's why I usually approach the client directly 3-4 week before end date and see if they want to renew me or not. If they say the do I ask about it every week to see where things are. A week before I make it clear to them that unless we have a signed contract I won't be able to do any work.

Incidentally, this is exactly the case with my renewal. My contract ends on the 31st. They all know I will stop working unless we have a signed contract before April 1st. Mine's not a simple renewal either, but that's another story. They are all pushing in the same direction but this is a big corporation so things tend to take a lot of time. By the way the renewal process was kicked off about a month ago.

Oh, and by the way, apparently now the SDS doesn't have to be provided until the first payment from the end client.
    Last edited by zonkkk; 27 March 2021, 08:36.

Comment

I've been with this client and agent for 4.5 years,
      yikes.

filled out an assessment last year, heard nothing, obviously that went away. Same this year, still nothing,
      did you expect any different this year.

a serious accountancy firm is involved in the assessments but it's still a mess. Had some rubbish from my agent who has clearly been kept in the dark as well.
      They might be in the dark, they might not be. They might be helping the client work out how to keep all their permitractors from walking by helping with a cunning wheeze. Like make you wait till the last minute, provide outside contracts you don't have time to review. And then hit you with an inside IR35 SDS later on when it's too late.

I've got no idea whether I should 'turn up' on Monday. My contract ran out today.
      No

You can't quit from a contract you don't have. Are you looking for other work yet? If not, why not?

What if they provide a new outside IR35 contract on Monday but no SDS. What will do you do then?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Ditto what zonkkk said. Make sure you tell the client, the team, the agent that you cannot work without a contract and therefore as your contract has expired, you will not be available until one is produced.

In future, don't let these things lie until the last day. Be proactive in follow up renewals and making sure people know that there's a drop dead date coming up.

It could be that the client didn't want to renew you but was too rude/lazy/whatever to bother communicating it. That does happen, sadly.

Comment

The fact you think you can rock up on Monday out of contract after so long show's clearly you've been there too long and are part and parcel. You've got too used to the gig and forgotten what you are. You are a CONTRACTor. No contract no turnee upee. You are acting like a permatractor.
          It could be that the client didn't want to renew you but was too rude/lazy/whatever to bother communicating it. That does happen, sadly.
          It's because they are treating him like a permie and he's acting one. Clearly part and parcel. I'll be a blue arsed baboon if he gets an outside determination.

OP's only option is to leave it as it is and go get another gig. Even considering working past April with 4.5 years under his belt is suicide.

Feeling like quitting out of principle
          Bit of a daft thing to say when you've actually not got anything to quit but feel free.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 27 March 2021, 15:00.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X