• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legitimate Expense or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well paying for broadband via company is a deffo no. However it is different when it comes to access points.
    But I see it from all points. Will think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
      Well paying for broadband via company is a deffo no. However it is different when it comes to access points.
      But I see it from all points. Will think about it.
      Actually, paying for broadband via your company (and receiving CT relief) is a definite yes if you have a dedicated line, separate from your personal line, and no BIK will arise because there is no personal use (that is a separate line). The problems arise when you have a mix of personal and business use and the two are difficult to separate, as in your equipment scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Actually, paying for broadband via your company (and receiving CT relief) is a definite yes if you have a dedicated line, separate from your personal line, and no BIK will arise because there is no personal use (that is a separate line). The problems arise when you have a mix of personal and business use and the two are difficult to separate, as in your equipment scenario.
        Is that not same situation as things like Laptops? Laptop purchased for business use solely is only allowed but how can you prove that it is?

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post

Is that not same situation as things like Laptops? Laptop purchased for business use solely is only allowed but how can you prove that it is?
          Well, that's your problem. It's for you to be able to show that the test is met, not for HMRC to show the opposite. But, no, it's pretty easy to demonstrate that a computer is for business use and that any personal use is incidental. Wifi equipment being continuously used for personal internet access, not so much. Then again, most of the questions around here w/r to expenses are not genuine questions; they are mostly "thanks for your input, but I reject your reality and substitute my own, which happens to be - it's fine". Anyway, good luck, you probably won't get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Well, that's your problem. It's for you to be able to show that the test is met, not for HMRC to show the opposite. But, no, it's pretty easy to demonstrate that a computer is for business use and that any personal use is incidental. Wifi equipment being continuously used for personal internet access, not so much. Then again, most of the questions around here w/r to expenses are not genuine questions; they are mostly "thanks for your input, but I reject your reality and substitute my own, which happens to be - it's fine". Anyway, good luck, you probably won't get caught.
            haha
            I not decided to do it yet hence the thread otherwise would have done it and not bothered.

Comment

Working...
            X