• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One time Pension contribution from my limited Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One time Pension contribution from my limited Company

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me out please?
    I want to close my limited company and need to make a one time pension contribution to avoid liquidator cost.
    My accountant advised me not to pay myself a dividend to reduce the reserves as HMRC wouldn't be happy about that.

Could someone please recommend a company / pension fund to pay this amount in ?
    Ideally with access to the pension from age 55 /57.

Thanks very much.

Originally posted by deal0703 View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me out please?
    I want to close my limited company and need to make a one time pension contribution to avoid liquidator cost.
    My accountant advised me not to pay myself a dividend to reduce the reserves as HMRC wouldn't be happy about that.

Could someone please recommend a company / pension fund to pay this amount in ?
    Ideally with access to the pension from age 55 /57.

Thanks very much.
    A SIPP.

There's loads of threads on here.
    Hargreaves Landsdowne is really quick to setup. You need top open it with a nominal personal payment. £100 works.
    Then you can buy company money in.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Not what you asked, but i'd be interested in hearing the accountants reasoning behind that, assuming the company has adequate profits to pay such a dividend.

Did they explain why?
      Last edited by Paralytic; 15 March 2021, 14:31.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

@ Lance thanks I'll check out SIPP.

@ Paralytic

Not what you asked, but i'd be interested in hearing the accountants reasoning behind that, assuming you the company has adequate profits to pay such a dividend.

Did they explain why?
        I had an absolute nightmare with the accountant.
        I have only been contracting 18 month and they charged me 1**£ a month and they basically told me nothing regarding dividends or advised how to pay myself to reduce tax in any way.

Regarding paying yourself a dividend, we would not recommend this as HMRC would question whether the dividend was taken solely to reduce the reserves before closure.
        You can still pay a pension contribution if you wanted to or you could leave the company open as dormant
        I just want to close the company before the new tax year, I don't want to hear anymore from the accountant or HMRC and just carry on.
        I'll never go contracting again.
        Last edited by deal0703; 15 March 2021, 11:48.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks very much.
          Sounds like tosh to me. Ask the accountant to explain why.

You should still be the £2,000 divi as its tax free on your SA

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

@ Lance thanks I'll check out SIPP.

@ Paralytic

I had an absolute nightmare with the accountant.
            I have only been contracting 18 month and they charged me 1**£ a month and they basically told me nothing regarding dividends or advised how to pay myself to reduce tax in any way.

I just want to close the company before the new tax year, I don't want to hear anymore from the accountant or HMRC and just carry on.
            I'll never go contracting again.
            The tax year 5th April onwards has nothing to do with a LTD company.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I would avoid Hargreaves Lansdown. They are the most expensive in the SIPP industry by far. It's a service chosen by people who don't understand mathematics or long term compound fees.

Interactive Investor (ii), Halifax iWeb or similar are a much better choice. Go and search online to confirm this, as you will find that HL are always bottom or penultimate choice in any comparison table. If people are keen to use the HL website just register a normal trading account and use the information there, although I personally find other portals to have superior information and more accurate information available.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
                I would avoid Hargreaves Lansdown. They are the most expensive in the SIPP industry by far. It's a service chosen by people who don't understand mathematics or long term compound fees.

Interactive Investor (ii), Halifax iWeb or similar are a much better choice. Go and search online to confirm this, as you will find that HL are always bottom or penultimate choice in any comparison table. If people are keen to use the HL website just register a normal trading account and use the information there, although I personally find other portals to have superior information and more accurate information available.
                Indeed HL is not the lowest cost.
                I think that with a fund greater than £25k it is best placed elsewhere.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Not what you asked, but i'd be interested in hearing the accountants reasoning behind that, assuming the company has adequate profits to pay such a dividend.

Did they explain why?
                  Possibly to do with reducing the retained profit below £25k and going down the informal liquidation route? Paying a dividend could be seen as tax evasion from HMRC point of view. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
                    It's a service chosen by people who don't understand mathematics or long term compound fees.
                    Or people who only hold individual shares, investment trusts and ETFs, trade infrequently and for whom a cap at £200 p.a. on a SIPP or £45 on an ISA is reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                    X