• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money owed to company if going dormant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I interpret this thread is that your company is owed money for work completed which the agency has yet to pay. You could continue to chase the agency for this money as it's owed to the company. Remember the company is a separate entity to you as an individual so it's all about the company/agency relationship here. If after 6 months, you still get nowhere, you can make the decision whether to write it off as a bad debt in the company books or continue to chase for the outstanding sales invoice amount.

The terminology of company dormant that you use is probably misunderstood. From a technical point of view, (and this has been covered many times before) is that the company is not "dormant" but actually non-trading. In the true sense, a company is classified as dormant if it has been incorporated but not traded at all. In your case, you've used the company to trade through but have decided to go down a different route so you're putting the company on ice i.e. non trading status. This does not stop you from chasing the outstanding debt or doing anything in the company. You'll still have to produce company account and a corporation tax return every year and file these with Companies House and HMRC etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

you sure about that?

How about a more likely scenario where they know full well you're right, but have happily strung you along for a year so, and are going to continue doing so.
      Yes,

I have spoken to enough people there that I can tell you with confidence that they honestly, genuinely, firmly believe that to be the case.

I have run in to a bit of a stumbling block, as I can't see a way to use Money Claims Online as a company, without being a solicitor. Is this correct?

My options to register is Individual, Solictor or Organisation, where organisation is:

"I am an organisation without legal representation that issues claims for money against other parties or makes defences for claims made against me. I wish to register as an MCOL user and issue claims using the online service."

Am I meant to register as an "Organisation"?

Thanks

Comment

Why don't you issue a winding up order to get their attention. And then maybe get work elsewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/wind-up-a-company...owes-you-money

Comment

Working...
        X