• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extra Tax Money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    I don't know what the "HMRC payment plan" is but I expect that the interest would be less than the 38% you would have to pay on the dividends if you take them out and go into the higher rate tax band.
    38%? You sure about that?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

38%? You sure about that?
      Or 32%, point taken.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I would have thought once you've attracted the attention of HMRC it won't be the first time? Better to stay off their books rather than use them for a cheap loan IMO.
        Or maybe they see you're struggling but willing to pay tax and leave you alone.

Comment

Or 32%, point taken.
          apparently the point wasn't taken.
          Check again.

Is this why you can't afford to pay your tax, or a mortgage?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

apparently the point wasn't taken.
            Check again.

Is this why you can't afford to pay your tax, or a mortgage?
            Apparently you should get your facts straight. I can pay my tax and mortgage, thank you very much.
            Secondly, dividend tax for higher rate tax payers is 32.5% and for additional tax payers 38.1%.

What point were you trying to make then?

Comment

Apparently you should get your facts straight. I can pay my tax and mortgage, thank you very much.
              Secondly, dividend tax for higher rate tax payers is 32.5% and for additional tax payers 38.1%.

What point were you trying to make then?
              No particular point other than you got the tax rate wrong. Again.
              And if you have to borrow money to pay your tax then you can't pay it. You are a different legal entity to your company. The fact that your company can afford to pay you a dividend is not the same as you being able to afford it.

You != Your LTD.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

What about a very trivial approach such as:
                a) consumer loan - 3-5% pa, which you could repay after 6 April as soon as you withdraw dividends for 2021/22, or
                b) even a cash withdrawal from any of your credit cards, which would work out as 3% initial charge + another 2% for March (based on 22% pa), or around 5% in total, which you would again repay immediately after 6 April. Even that in any case would be cheaper than paying 32.5-38.1% tax on dividends

Comment

No particular point other than you got the tax rate wrong. Again.
                  And if you have to borrow money to pay your tax then you can't pay it. You are a different legal entity to your company. The fact that your company can afford to pay you a dividend is not the same as you being able to afford it.

You != Your LTD.
                  Your attention to detail is abysmal. I rest my case.

Comment

Working...
                  X