• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal Car Damaged at Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance
    replied
    Couple of points.

If the OP isn’t claiming expenses on his mileage to the client, then it could very well be considered a commute as it’s not a temporary place of work.

There’s no way the repair can be claimed from the business. Immaterial of insurance, expenses or commuting. And immaterial of 44p per mile. They are not relevant factors as the only factor is who owns the vehicle.
    It’s a personal vehicle and therefore a personal cost.

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You sure about that? Insurance and expenses are two totally different things. I'm not so sure the insurance company will take 'I claim 45p/mile' as defense when cancelling your insurance when you had a crash on the way to a client with a server in the boot.

You are on company business travelling to a client. Domestic and commute does not cover business.
    You're both right.

The expenses (including wear and tear) are covered by the 45p/mile the OP is presumably claiming, regardless of the insurance position. There is no claim for the OP here.

A decent employer would insist on sight of the correct documents including suitable insurance cover before paying such an expense however.

A generous employer might make a (taxable) goodwill payment to help the poor employee towards the damage but most wouldn't. It wouldn't help the OP of course, unless he is also going to confuse employer with client...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    You sure about that? Insurance and expenses are two totally different things. I'm not so sure the insurance company will take 'I claim 45p/mile' as defense when cancelling your insurance when you had a crash on the way to a client with a server in the boot.

You are on company business travelling to a client. Domestic and commute does not cover business.
    Yep, I have business cover - and don't forget the same is needed for RAC/AA/Green Shield cover as well...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    It makes not a jot of difference how it is insured...

Use of your personal car is is covered by the 45p/mile charge you can claim. Swings and roundabouts.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    That would be 'I call it f***ing w**k f***king bulltulip f**k.
    Something along these f**king lines, yes

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    This.
    That would be 'I call it f***ing w**k f***king bulltulip f**k.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    It makes not a jot of difference how it is insured...

Use of your personal car is is covered by the 45p/mile charge you can claim. Swings and roundabouts.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    The OP knows the answer and is making rubbish up to try convince us. They know full well its only cosmetic and they know full well its not a business expense.

I call the whole post BS. They are just looking for one post to agree and they'll be convinced. We see it all the time.

If it isn't and this is how tentative their grasp on what is business and personal then they've got bigger problems.

Oh dear. Maybe the latter is the case after all. Commuting? And I'll bet they are claiming mileage.. :
    This.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The OP knows the answer and is making rubbish up to try convince us. They know full well its only cosmetic and they know full well its not a business expense.

I call the whole post BS. They are just looking for one post to agree and they'll be convinced. We see it all the time.

If it isn't and this is how tentative their grasp on what is business and personal then they've got bigger problems.

2. Car insured for social & commute to work
    Oh dear. Maybe the latter is the case after all. Commuting? And I'll bet they are claiming mileage.. :
    Last edited by northernladuk; 21 January 2021, 22:40.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    As LadyMuck indicated you aren't insured and you are lucky that no-one else was involved.

You need to get business insurance to cover you.

It doesn't increase your premiums at all or by very much. However in your case you will have to pay the cost of adjusting your premium mid-policy.

If you don't have it and you are involved in an accident e.g. then you aren't insured. Well the insurer will cover you third party as they legally have to, but they will refuse to cover you for anything else.

Also some client's will not let you drive to a different site for them if you don't have business insurance as they have a Health and Safety responsibility for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X