• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sell company iMac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    But if the company transfers ownership/gifts it 'De minimis' to the director first?, there is no tax for the director to pay as it has a book value of $0
    Any benefit to an employee for tax purposes is based on the market value of the depreciated asset on the date of transfer (i.e., what you would get if you sold it second-hand ), not the book value in the company accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Let's combine all the posts above

The company book value will be zero as it should be fully depreciated.

And while in the ideal world you should be booking the sale in the company (as LM states) after 4 years it's probably broken in some way or other (if it was a Lenovo, Dell or Surface device it would definitely have broken in that period) - so it's hardly the biggest crime to not pass the money back to the company.

Before anyone asks it's why I now treat laptops as disposable items and never spend more than £1k including VAT on them.
      Refurbished Dells all the way...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by coded View Post
        Hello,

I bought an iMac for my limited company in May 2016. I am looking to sell the iMac, do I need to inform my accountant & am I supposed to pay the money received from selling the iMac back into the business?

Kind Regards
        When you sell the iMac, raise an invoice for it. The money received from the sale goes into the company bank account. Let your accountant know that you've sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          For a four year old laptop?

I would expect that depreciation would have reduced the capital to £0, but you’ll need to confirm that with your accountant.
          iMac's aren't laptops. And a 2016 model with a decent processor is still worth £500+

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
            iMac's aren't laptops. And a 2016 model with a decent processor is still worth £500+
            That puts a whole different spin on it. A low end general PC will be practically worthless over the same period.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              That puts a whole different spin on it. A low end general PC will be practically worthless over the same period.
              a 'faulty' 2016 iMac is worth zero though.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If it had zero value, there would be no point trying to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  A fully depreciated asset still belongs to the company and any gain from its resale needs to be recorded in your P&L.
                  Is the only correct answer. And if you’re selling it to yourself do make sure it’s at a reasonable market rate or it could be considered a BIK. You also need to account for VAT on the sale if you’re VAT registered.

If it genuinely has negligible resale value you could just treat it as “scrapped”. The tax man is unlikely to know or care if it happens to find its way into your home.

Depending on the spec a 4 year iMac is likely to have a resale value though.
                  Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 14 January 2021, 22:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                    But if the company transfers ownership/gifts it 'De minimis' to the director first?, there is no tax for the director to pay as it has a book value of $0
                    Did Fraidycat get it wrong again? Whodathunk it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X