• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starling Bank questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Freeagent also does MTD VAT, that's almost a standard offering on all accounting packages now.
    Mine does and fills in all the numbers - although I have to do the actual submission manually.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Freeagent also does MTD VAT, that's almost a standard offering on all accounting packages now.
    Yup, all filed through FA.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pampa View Post
    My setup isn't too complicated (he says belligerently) I work from home 100%, I contract for 1 main company and do other odd jobs, all consultancy type work and I'm the only employee.
    You aren't an employee for a start. It's that kind of misunderstanding and lack of knowlede that means you need an accountant. This isn't an area where cutting costs works. You are paying someone to potentially save or make you money as well as keep on the right side of the law as you have a legal obligation regarding your finances as a director.

I think you've got the message now but again, very bad idea to go it alone so soon.

Leave a comment:

• Pampa
    replied
    Thanks for everyone's replies!

I am indeed new to the contracting world hence the newbie questions ?

I certainly feel safer with the accountant looking after me, I have connected my Starling Business Account to Free Agent which was wrapped up into the accountant's services.

What I was really interested in Starling was the new Toolkit and not the bank account itself here as it seems the feature that really stood out for me was the automated MTD VAT submission.

My setup isn't too complicated (he says belligerently) I work from home 100%, I contract for 1 main company and do other odd jobs, all consultancy type work and I'm the only employee.

It's looking like taking the advice of many of you is I should probably stick with the accountant for now as I'm new to it before making the leap.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    It isn't that hard to DIY with FreeAgent. However, it would be pretty bold to do this without seeing a couple of cycles of all the relevant returns and, even then, you need to keep up-to-date with the legislation. An accountant seems like a very small outlay to reduce risk, but I can understand why some do it a few years in, assuming they enjoy that sort of admin. Doing this as a n00bie contractor is a bad idea imho.
    IMHO it's a no brainer. My accountant cost the equivalent of one day's gross income every six months. Given I'd need a bit more than 4 days a year to DIY it all, if you include year end and silly questions, using the accountant was cheaper.

Two caveats - I was an accountant in a previous life and yes, Freeagent is the bees knees for our kind of business.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    It isn't that hard to DIY with FreeAgent. However, it would be pretty bold to do this without seeing a couple of cycles of all the relevant returns and, even then, you need to keep up-to-date with the legislation. An accountant seems like a very small outlay to reduce risk, but I can understand why some do it a few years in, assuming they enjoy that sort of admin. Doing this as a n00bie contractor is a bad idea imho.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
    Included in my accountant's monthly fee.
    Ah, I see. I am thinking of those who DIY, admittedly that's minority here. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    But then you'd be paying a monthly subscription for FreeAgent? When it's available for free with another on line challenger bank account?
    Included in my accountant's monthly fee.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
    FreeAgent + the free Starling account is a perfect combination IMO.
    If you ever open a second account with another bank (e.g. for savings or foreign currencies, or because you hit the FSCS limit) how would the Starling package handle that?
    But then you'd be paying a monthly subscription for FreeAgent? When it's available for free with another on line challenger bank account?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X